Possible Large Claw/tooth?

DinoClaw

Hello everyone. My Flatmate found this fossil in a wood in North East France.

Can anybody help identify what it is and what it may be from.

Its roughly 24 centimeters in length.

It seems to have a "blood groove" running from bass to tip.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

post-13717-0-24555500-1384797060_thumb.jpeg

Looks like maybe some kind of pinna type shell?

I don't think it's a claw.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks 'shelly' to me, and somewhat resembles a Pinna bivalve.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, that's what I see too, and was just typing it when I got the "2 new replies" message. Some species have a central groove that runs the length of the shell (Pinna nobilis for example). You can see the growth striations of the shell at the fat end.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Intersting. I did wonder weather it might be a shell.

Do you think its worth getting it dated?

Do you mean carbon dated? What would you hope to get for your money? A date would satisfy your curiosity... but what else?

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

If we can identify the geology from whence it came, we can date it. Radiometric dating is rather expensive.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

looks a little flat and smooth for pinna, as auspex says, get the geo map (probably on line) for the NE France area and determine what formation outcrops there, someone familiar with that formation will be able to nail down an identity with that information

i would suggest either gervillia or isognomon which are 2 types of mussles that would match the picture somehow.

Size for gervillia would fit also .

• I found this Informative 1

Just for comparison. A pinna clam out of the Pierre Shale of the cretaceous in central Wyoming.

post-1148-0-63301200-1384874278_thumb.jpg

Jim

Old Dead Things