The Withlacoochee River Finds That Were Never Id.

worthy 55

A revisit to these fossils that were found in a North FL. river and were never ID other that they do not belong there? That was where they were found though. Any thoughts on these? B)B)B):)

post-23-0-58918400-1386533201_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-81507800-1386533254_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-78236200-1386533337_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

looks like some cool nautiloid nodules

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I agree that the first two are nautiloids. They look like Aturia based on the indentation seen in each chamber toward the back of the fossils which would appear as a lobe if it could be seen from the side.

Thanks for your answers I am still waiting to hear from the museum on if their are an uncommon find in Fl. B)B)B):(

It's my bone!!!

Worthy 55,

The Florida Museum of Natural History has a number of nautiloid specimens from different Florida sites (Oligocene, Miocene, and I think even Late Eocene) in their collections but I got the impression that they are not common at any of them.

Jess

Thanks for your answers I am still waiting to hear from the museum on if their are an uncommon find in Fl. B)B)B):(

Cool nautilus. The Florida Paleontological Society publishes a series on Florida Fossil Invertebrates through the Florida Museum of Natural History. Part 14 (Portell et. al., 2012) covers Cephalopoda. They list Aturia alabamaensis from the Upper Eocene Ocala Limestone and the Lower Oligocene Bumpnose Limestone and Aturia cf. curvilineata from the Miocene Chipola and Shoal River Formations. Those from the Suwannee Limestone which yours would surely be if collected on the Withlacoochee is identified as Aturia sp. The ones that you show are as good if not better than they picture in Plate 7 of the publication which was the first time they were reported upon in the Suwannee. Interestingly they say that the nodules from the Suwannee Limestone show radio-concentric growths of a colonial organisms such as hydrozoans. It is thought that the empty shells floated and served as a growth substrate for the hydrozoas until the shell became too heavy or beached.

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

So it is the same specimen. Also one of the specimens pictured in the FPS publication.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Regarding the third item: I think it is Cylindracanthus. LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks