Amber ? Bee Wax ?

Shambala68

This specimin was found in Western NSW Australia at first glance it looks like Amber also is see through and looks like there are worm castings attached ..It is light weight like Amber ..

Do we have Amber in Australia ???

post-14001-0-45434700-1387524795_thumb.jpg

As far as I am aware Australia's only amber deposit is in the Cape York area of northern Queensland. As to what this could be, I wouldn't be sure without actually holding it, but don't think it is amber.

What was the environment like that it was found in? Was it a surface find?

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hmmmm interesting. It does look sort of like rough amber, or maybe even copal, but I wish others with more amber experience would pitch in with their opinion.

The only reason I am sceptical is because of its location- if it were amber or even copal it would probably be among the first ever found in NSW. The odds are against it being amber, but who knows?

If you really want to know whether it is amber or not (and I mean as a last resort), you could try burning a small section with a lighter. If it melts and gives off a sweet, forest resin type odour it is likely copal (young amber not fully fossilised, merely thousands of years old as opposed to millions). If it does not melt but instead burns like incense and still produces that sweet resin smell then it is likely amber.

Edited by Paleoworld-101
  • I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I have alot of Amber in my collection and it's nearly identical to a few pieces I have although much larger its about 3 inches long and about 1.8cm wide

Looks like Carnelian agate, I would get a piece of fine grit sandpaper and start polishing. If it doesn't polish up very quickly, you'll have the answer. Either way, it'll be a nice piece.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I would suggest a hot needle rather than a lighter in case it is amber or copal.

This way you only damage a very small area.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Mix salt in warm water until no more will dissolve; amber and copal will float.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like Carnelian agate, I would get a piece of fine grit sandpaper and start polishing. If it doesn't polish up very quickly, you'll have the answer. Either way, it'll be a nice piece.

Amber is soft, can you scratch it with a nail file? if not it may be agate.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Amber is soft, can you scratch it with a nail file? if not it may be agate.

Yep. Hence the sandpaper, just in case it's amber and ya won't 'crater' the piece. I hope it's not agate, she may have found something unique.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

*everyone's ears perk up*

Seems it's time for the hot needle test?

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

If it is amber or copal, you can also put a drop of isopropyl alcohol on a smooth spot and let it dry. Then touch it. If it is amber, nothing happens. If it is copal, the alcohol will react with the volatile components still in it and be tacky. It will leave a fingerprint.

We're almost there: a resinous odor when a hot needle is applied will rule out the possibility that it is a melted piece of plastic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It does look a lot like rough amber, and it floats! I can't wait to see the end result of the testing.

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Looks just like the rough copal I found. Its copal or amber for sure.

Next is polishing it if you want a nice appearance. I used fine grit sand paper. Came out looking awesome! If I had to do it all over again I would only polish one half, unless you see something amazing inside.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher