Bone In Spring Creek Richardson

dchilliard

Hello All,

Wanted to ask if anyone with more experience has any idea what bone from what animal this looks like it could be from? Found it in a rocky gravel bar/streambed in the Richardson/Dallas area. Trying to ID this bone has eluded me for far too long so I'm ready to hear some suggestions!

post-14056-0-68309800-1387570992_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum from Washington! This is waaaay outside of my comfort zone, I'm probably wrong, but I'll say a type of scute. Maybe turtle? Not sure what is found in your locale. Certainly the Texans will ID that piece for ya soon.!

• I found this Informative 1

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Welcome from Cooke County. I don't know your bone but I would have carried it home too even tho it doesn't look mineralized so it may not be old. You may get more id replies if you post on the "fossil identification" forum. If you bring it to Brookhaven College next month on the 8th, somebody at the Dallas Paleo Society meeting could tell you in person...go hungry, they even serve food:) We also have field trips and monthly speakers...great fun.

i'm guessing proximal end of a mammalian axis vert. maybe cow? i'll defer to others on details.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Yeah it was an interesting looking bone and my knowledge of human skeletal structure couldn't fathom a function for it, so now I need to know where it goes. I didn't think it would be such a challenge to figure out where it belongs but its a fun mystery to figure out anyway!

It may have come from bedrock and been well preserved by surrounding rock, but it was on the surface of a gravel bar so it could be new also. Either way I am determined at this point. I used to go to Brookhaven so I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

i think it's much more recent than adjacent bedrock.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dan is correct regarding axis vertebra (C2). I think bovine is a good guess, but still just a guess from me.