Phalanx And Some Teeth I Need Help With Please.

Hemi-God

Hey Ya'll,

I've been to the Peace River again and found a few more things I can't identify. Sure would appreciate a bit of help here.

post-3390-0-89094600-1387844787_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-35455100-1387844797_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-82115200-1387844806_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-03345000-1387844814_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-71434700-1387844828_thumb.jpg

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

And finally,

post-3390-0-67110500-1387846985_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-81672200-1387847232_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-53923100-1387847330_thumb.jpgpost-3390-0-53458700-1387847405_thumb.jpg

Also, if anybody is feeling up to it, I had a post last week that has some items I still need help with. That post can be found here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/42698-new-pieces-from-peace-river-i-need-help-iding/

Edited by Hemi-God

*NOT an expert.

Hemi--god, Nice finds.. My first impressions (usually I hope for 3-4 accurate).. These are my WAGS when I fist see them in my sieve before showing them on TFF

1) Sloth toe bone -- Phalanx

2) Camel or Equus Canine

3) Whale tooth

4) Dolphin tooth

5) Beaver molar

You are doing well --- Good luck out there..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Planning on heading out to the Peace this weekend. I enjoy any time I can spend waist-deep in the water dropping shovels full of sand/gravel into my sifter just to see what turns up. I haven't yet found any 'honey holes' but I continue to try. Mainly I end up with a nice variety of smaller shark teeth (I have a nice turned wooden bowl full of them in my living room). Hours of sifting on the river can be kind of a relaxing meditation but when I find a larger fossil (that isn't a chunk of dugong bone) my pulse quickens and my brain restarts. I love finding pieces that make me think as I search for a clue to their identity--consulting my ID books or TFF. A few years back a small roving group of llamas (errants from a local farm) came down to the river while we were sifting. Shortly thereafter I pulled a Palaeolama phalanx from the river (I still call it my fossilized cameltoe). I've yet to see any beavers building dams on the Peace River so that's my current excuse for not turning up a fossilized beaver tooth yet. ;) For some strange reason beaver molars have been high on my wish list for some time--I'm green with envy.

I do enjoy finding mammal fossils in the Peace because it is fun to show friends things like mammoth/mastodon, bison, or llama fossils and watch them try to comprehend that there once was a time when these things roamed our areas.

Thanks for sharing your finds--now I can hardly wait for the weekend...

(Holiday) Cheers,

-Ken

SS, I appreciate the WAGs, and love the acronym. :) You're getting pretty good at this. I look forward to the book you'll surely publish one day. I hope to get a signed copy.

digit, I hear ya. The Peace is my Zen spot. I could honestly have a wonderful day out there sifting screen after screen and find absolutely nothing.

Fortunately that hasn't happened yet. :)

PF, I thank you for the help. As always, your ID's carry weight.

Wishing you all a great holiday season. And thanks again.

*NOT an expert.

Sweet finds,I am partial to the beaver tooth.Very nice!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!