Ramanessin Brook The Day Before Christmas

Jeffrey P

It was the day before Christmas and I felt the need for a change from usual precoccupation with Devonian inverts to go south to Jersey and sift the Ram for Cretaceous fossils. I "discovered" Monmouth County last year on a NYPS collecting trip to Big Brook which was one of my first collecting trips. Last March I found Ramanessin Brook which has since become my favorite Monmouth County collecting area. I've been there a half dozen times and while it's been many long hours of sifting the collection of Cretaceous fossils, especially shark teeth, has slowly grown. Temperatures had recently risen and with two days of rain and melting snow and I was hoping would have kicked up a few specimens. Traffic was flowing well and I made it there in record time; under two hours, arriving just before 9 AM. Temperature was in the high thirties. I came prepared, all of the usual warm weather gear including a rain suit and hip waders, and a thermos of hot tea.

post-13044-0-74257000-1388080695_thumb.jpg

I arrived at one of my two favorite collecting spots. I immediately scanned the gravel bar and found part of a ghost shrimp claw and a couple small shark teeth. I commensed sifting the stream and the first hour turned up a lot of broken teeth I ended up throwing back and just one small crow shark tooth I ended up keeping. I began fretting this might be a long trip for nothing when I found the largest, most perfect goblin shark tooth, an inch and a half tall. After that it was one find after another; more goblins, three mackerals, and eight complete crow shark teeth, plus a couple ammonite sections, partial enchodus teeth, and a partial brachiopod. Then there was one large mystery tooth. Here's a photo of the collection:

post-13044-0-14327100-1388081394_thumb.jpg

About the mystery tooth, it is the one in the lower right hand corner. It is three quarters of an inch long. I think it might be a crocodile or mosasaur or possibly a peudo fossil. TFF members please share your expertise. Also will likely send a phot to Jason Schein at the NJ State Museum who has helped ID my finds in the past. Sorry the photos aren't better.

post-13044-0-58614600-1388081964_thumb.jpgpost-13044-0-09119500-1388082170_thumb.jpg

post-13044-0-42903400-1388082413_thumb.jpg

Staying warm is always an issue on these type trips. Can't use gloves and so keeping the hands warm is the toughest part. Had to give them a "rest" every now and then, put on gloves, drink some tea, etc. Ended up spending seven hours. The trip home though was the big adventure. Ran into an unexpected ice storm on the way and the last ten miles took over an hour and a half, but I'm home now, safe and able to enjoy a merry Christmas. Happy holidays to the rest of you!

post-13044-0-50967600-1388082099_thumb.jpg

Although the photos are very fuzzy I feel pretty confident IDing that as a mosasaur tooth. And a pretty nice one for Monmouth! Well done!

What a great haul. I've always wanted to find a mackerel shark tooth.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Wow, Jeff! :drool:

Nice haul indeed.

I would say despite the numbness of your hands, and long ride home, it was a productive day for you!

Congratulations on some more ammonite sections, and the mosasaur tooth! Great finds.

Thanks for posting this report - nice to hear of die-hards out there in the cold.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 5 months later...

Holmdel, NJ, just off of Rt. 520. Common parking area is just across from the school at the trailhead sign.

• I found this Informative 1