Homemade Mini-Fossil Clamp Pdf

mikecable

Looks very useful! A little large for most of my micros (conodonts etc.) but if I'm looking at larger things at various angles, I may put something like this together.

I've been thinking about a stand for photographing my conodonts, or at least some of the nicer ones. I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm leaning towards:

1) Toothpick with a drop of Elmer's glue to hold the specimen

2) Alligator clip soldered to a larger, flat piece of metal for a base.

The toothpick mount could be rotated to show all sides, and a flat piece of metal could be turned on end and secured in a clothespin or other clamp for extreme-angle viewing, if necessary.

And, of course, when the photography is done, the sample can easily be removed from the toothpick by immersion in water, or can become the pedestal in a box-type micromount for long-term storage. In the latter case, I'd use superglue rather than Elmer's to hold the sample.

Rather than superglue I would use clear nail polish, which can be removed with acetone if you later want to unmount the specimen.

post-7463-0-51280800-1389655371_thumb.jpg

Mediospirifer

Something like this would be easier and cheaper than making your own. Harbor Freight should have dirt cheap, or search Amazon for Helping Hand.

attachicon.gif71YDCfUV7NL._SL1500_.jpg

Mediospirifer

Something like this would be easier and cheaper than making your own. Harbor Freight should have dirt cheap, or search Amazon for Helping Hand.

Except that I can get alligator clips and bits of scrap metal from work, and use the tools there to do the soldering after my work day. If I were to use a stiff (but somewhat flexible) piece of wire to mount the alligator clip, that would give me a flexible enough holder. The downside to my construction idea is that it would be much easier to knock over than your stand!

That stand does look useful, though! It's good to know where to find these things if I find I do need one. :D