Found, Broke, And Repaired My First Gator Tooth

FossilFreak

Well I finally made it to the Peace River a few days after Christmas. Two of My cousins came too.

The highlight of the day was finding my first gator tooth. The heartbreak of the day, was taking it out of my pocket at the very end to find it shattered. (I'll definitely be more careful next time).

Here are some pics:

My cousins finds (sorry for bad quality):

post-916-1231204493_thumb.jpgpost-916-1231206909_thumb.jpg

Some of my finds. I like some of the bull sharks and the hemi in the bottom row is decent. Most of the hemis were badly damaged.

post-916-1231206930_thumb.jpg

Here's some bones and turtle shell that I probably should have left in the river:

post-916-1231206963_thumb.jpg

Here's some scutes (I think one of them is half an armadillo scute):

post-916-1231206950_thumb.jpg

Here's some stuff that I'm not sure of:

post-916-1231207569_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the better finds. Horse tooth, capybera tooth, two pieces of deer antler, two small megs (my cousin found the smaller one), lower symphyseal hemi, sand tiger, posterior mako (I think), and some type of carcharhinus (maybe) that looked interesting.

post-916-1231207083_thumb.jpg

Here's a pathological bull shark.

post-916-1231206978_thumb.jpgpost-916-1231206985_thumb.jpg

Here's the horse leg bone (cannon, I think). Two minutes after we were in the water, my cousin, pulled this out and said "Is this a bone")

post-916-1231204529_thumb.jpg

Gator tooth broken:

post-916-1231207796_thumb.jpg

Fixed gator tooth, plus a small gator tooth, and I think a broken croc tooth:

post-916-1231207549_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

very nice finds, is this all from one day?

in the stuff you dont have an id for the fossil to the bottom right looks like a horse tooth

the fossil bottom middle and top left look like broken peices of a ray plate

the thing on the bottom left looks a little like coal

i have something that looks like the fossil top right im not really sure what it is

very nice finds, is this all from one day?

in the stuff you dont have an id for the fossil to the bottom right looks like a horse tooth

the fossil bottom middle and top left look like broken peices of a ray plate

the thing on the bottom left looks a little like coal

i have something that looks like the fossil top right im not really sure what it is

Yes it was one day. But I can't really take credit as we had a guide who told us what to do and where to dig.

I forgot to say - I think the one on the right is some type of broken mammel tooth, so you may be right.

I'm not sure about whether or not their is a broken ray plate or coal although I can see why you'd think that from the pics.

The one on the bottom middle looks like a barnacle, but it has no defined bottom and is pretty large for a barnacle.

Guest bmorefossil
The one on the bottom middle looks like a barnacle, but it has no defined bottom and is pretty large for a barnacle.

a barnacle hmm, so it has the open top?

FossilFreak -- Just spotted this post. Nice haul. As to the things you should have left in the river . . . nah, everything found on this trip was special.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

wow you must be good at puzzles!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White