wfrr

My old hunting buddy Trenton-mon and I made it out to the NSR Sunday. It's been a long time since we tromped around out there. We made the trek east of Hwy 38 at Ben Franklin a mile and a half to the old rail road trestle.

After pretty much falling to get down into the channel, there is a long stretch of water you have to deal with and that's what has kept us out of there in the past. This time we brought our fishing waders, stayed dry and tackled it. We discovered that some spots are at least waist deep.

After we got back on solid ground we found ourselves walking in an area with no footprints ahead of us. It was just what I'd hoped for except unfortunately there were not many fossils to pick up

I'd expected to find a lot of teeth out there but we came away with only a couple of enchodus. I found a mammal vert and a couple of mosasaur verts along with 2 shark centrums, an arrow head and misc bone frags.

I'll try to get a few pics up later this week.

All in all a beautiful day, an ok hunt with some serious exercise and another day of adventure for a couple of old friends who have been treasure hunting together since we were in grade school over 40 years ago.

WFRR

That sounds like a great trip and finds Any pictures. I given up on the NSR since it almost itched me to death last year.

Hmmm last time at 38 I did think about crossing that stretch of water but decided not to. How long is the stretch approxiamately because it looked pretty far last time I was there? Can't wait to see you finds!

I measured the distance on Google earth, but there was a little more water in the channel last Sunday than there was when they took the pics. It was about 1/2 mile of wading. I am pretty sure there were some spots deeper than my waders could handle.

Once we made it to the trestle the water looked too deep for our waders. We decided it was a good spot to turn around. We were pretty pooped and we knew we still had to retrace our steps back through all of that mud and water again. The waders are a bit heavy and lifting your feet becomes difficult esp in the mud or climbing, but hey the water was cold and I went just about anywhere I pleased and did not get dirty or wet, so the waders are a great addition for my winter hunt. By the way they are bass pro brand with boots built into them (my size) and my daughter gave a whopping whole dollar for them at a resale shop.

A limestone formation began at the trestle so I expect that's why they built the bridge there. I sure wanted to check out the gravel beds down stream. Next time I search out there I think I'll walk the railroad track to the trestle and head east a couple of miles.

Oh ok thanks. I haven't been to the railroad trestle but I have personally gotten pretty mixed reviews about that bridge about finds so good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

well....I'm down to using a pretty crappy phone for pics and for some reason it hasn't been able to send the pics to my email. Today it started working again. So here are my nominal finds from that trip. I hope to do better this weekend.

post-9617-0-77723700-1392415263_thumb.jpg

A couple of shark centrums, a large and small mosasaur vert, another vert looks mammal to me I am not sure, worm tubes, a bit of jaw section without teeth but with the sockets, various bone frags reptile and mammal and a lone arrow head. Not pictured there was a bit of mammoth enamel about 3-4 inches worth by an inch or so that broke into bits. It is soaking in cleaner then I'll get the glue out and stick her back together.

Edited by wfrr

your second rate finds are quite different than my home grown finds. a splendid suite of reliquiae, i must say...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The fossil at the 1 O' clock of the shark vert looks to be coprolite, it can be found segmented together but sometimes the sections break apart like yours. Don't know who deposited it, maybe someone that is a cop. expert can shed some light on it. What do you think?-----Tom

post-3940-0-99278800-1392426879_thumb.jpgSamples I could locate

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The fossil at the 1 O' clock of the shark vert looks to be coprolite, it can be found segmented together but sometimes the sections break apart like yours. Don't know who deposited it, maybe someone that is a cop. expert can shed some light on it. What do you think?-----Tom

attachicon.gif207.JPGSamples I could locate

Give Carl a shout. This is one of his spheres of interest.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good eye...You are correct on the coprolite, I forgot to mention that one. Dan I'll have to admit that the NSR isn't really much of a homegrown trip for me, but it satisfies my need for exercise and often rewards me with interesting finds.

Edited by wfrr