Missouri Claw?

Pocaru

Hello, i am very new to this but i have recently found something that i think looks possibly like a claw fossil but i don't have much knowledge about this so i wanted to see what anyone else thought...

found in monroe county missouri, at mark twain lake.

found in a creek bed that i have found geodes and other marine type fossils. (sorry, i don't have a clue about the time periods...)

this creek is a feeder creek for the lake, flow is usually year round, when lake is up it is covered, has good flow during stong water events.

size is maybe 1 1/2 inches for the part that looks like the claw

i know that missouri has many marine fossils but i have searched around and haven't found anything about claws from anything.

Thanks!!

post-14286-0-67857400-1390276749_thumb.jpg

post-14286-0-62823100-1390276787_thumb.jpg

post-14286-0-01366600-1390276905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pocaru

It does not appear to be mammal or avian, it's likely a marine invertebrate or possibly geologic. I'm no expert in that area but I'm sure one will be able to narrow it down for you soon. Welcome to the forum.

Mark Twain Lake is Mississippian Burlington Fm. A marine deposit. I think you have the internal mold of a brachiopod shell.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you, this makes more sense. I have not really come across anything this big before and it did not have the ridges that photos and other info on the subject show.

My little boy will be disappointed that it doesn't come from a giant dinasour or saber-toothed cat but I am glad we found out what it was - Thanks!