Megaladon Tooth: Real, Fake Or R&r?

yzhang

Hi all,

Recently, I bought a 5.97‘’*4.25‘’ megalodon tooth from an ebay seller. The root and enamel (if they are real) are in a fair condition while the edge is eroded and nearly all serrations are gone. It is said that the tooth is found along NC coast.

I used to buy teeth from Bill and thus keep myself safe and happy from any concern about authenticity. But when I was looking for one of about 6'', I just could not afford the high-quality big teeth from megateeth.com.

But now I need to think about the question whether the tooth I got is real or not and whether it is under any repair or restoration... I did some research on it's picture and compare it with those real teeth I have before and after I received the specimen, it looks to me that the tooth does not look much like a fake,and the weight is also remarkably heavier than the 4.84*3.8 tooth I bought earlier from Bill. But I have not much idea to determine if there is any trace of R&R done on it.

Here are some photos taken in different directions and light sources, and some detail about the enamel and edge. Thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards,

--Yuan

post-14501-0-83803600-1392940047_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-76297400-1392940054_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-64357700-1392940040_thumb.jpg

Edited by Auspex

back enamel and root, do the yellow things at the bottom indicate some restoration there?...

post-14501-0-63331600-1392940602_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-21660600-1392940616_thumb.jpg

some details of the the edges.

post-14501-0-25570100-1392940725_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-39296500-1392940734_thumb.jpg

Looks fine to me; worn, and a little banged up, but you wanted massive and you certainly got that.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi yuan I don't see any type of repair or restoration on this tooth but the weight does not tell you much of anything. I have a 3 1/2'' meg that is heavier than one of my 5'' teeth. Its still a nice tooth anyway. Yes the real nice BIG teeth cost a LOT of money but if you have the money to get them get them. George

I really doubt the yellow area indicates repair. Black is the easiest color to paint. And if it was restored, why not fill the little chips along the edge. I'm no expert, but I think you have a real tooth (unless it melts in the hot sun :P )

They appear genuine and are likely teeth collected from the "meg ledge" miles off the NC coast.

From what I can see in the photos I would be pleased to own that tooth.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I really doubt the yellow area indicates repair. Black is the easiest color to paint. And if it was restored, why not fill the little chips along the edge. I'm no expert, but I think you have a real tooth (unless it melts in the hot sun :P )

Thanks for the response, your arguments of restoration make a lot of sense :)

I have found, seen and held a lot of megs from the rivers and the NC ledge, everything about it look legit! Very few of the ledge megs are sharply serrated, so this tooth is typical and has a nice yellow color typical of the ledges. Great addition to any collection!

Nice tooth and I've got to say if I was to make a fake one it would be a perfect fake one lol

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Even though this tooth has no serrations and tip,,, the color, enamel condition, bourrelet & size make it an overall beauty!

This is an upper right, 2nd place tooth.

I agree that from the pictures, it seems no restoration is done.

If any resto to be done by me, the missing enamel chips and tip would be the 1st things to repair..

Edited by markhero