Tooth Id?

emmytee

as i was going through the larg amount of sharkteeth i just rediscovered, i found a few odd looking ones. they include 3 triangular shaped ones but which are brown(the camera doesnt seem to show the real color) and dont seem to fit along with the rest, and 3 thin ones with ridges (i knew what these were before, but i forgot)

thanks in advance!

emily

3184586139_720b0b7d84.jpg

the one on the left has a smooth ridge-like feature on it near the left side of the tooth. it's not the crack... its to the left of that and its just a darker line.

3185429700_096c143b9f.jpg

this is the one that looks the least like a shark tooth

3184581487_5663c24d7e.jpg

these are the ones that i forget which animal it belongs to (the 3 on the right)

3184581081_93d28789fb.jpg

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Guest bmorefossil

the flat ones could be really worn sharks teeth(the first and third objects in the first picture) I can also see some enamel on the third object. the round one could be baracuda tooth, it is to worn to tell, the other 3 things are ray, they would be from a ray crushing plate as seen in this picture

post-17-1231610314_thumb.jpg

as i was going through the larg amount of sharkteeth i just rediscovered, i found a few odd looking ones. they include 3 triangular shaped ones but which are brown(the camera doesnt seem to show the real color) and dont seem to fit along with the rest, and 3 thin ones with ridges (i knew what these were before, but i forgot)

thanks in advance!

emily

this is the one that looks the least like a shark tooth

3184581487_5663c24d7e.jpg

Well, Emily . . . you've got those of us with older eyes squinting and leaning up to the monitor screen to see your fossils. Your images seem to be in focus and bright enough. But, all of your images have the same problem -- the fossil part of the image is too small.

Are you aware that in the above image the single tooth occupies less than one percent of the available image space?

Here are some tips for producing more useful images of fossils:

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware at http://www.irfanview.com/ ).

You can be as creative as you want to be with the software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows. Halogen bulbs are better for photography than tungsten filament bulbs. The new compact flourescent bulbs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. The images directly from a camera usually are too large for posting directly to a forum. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly 500 KB (I routinely use 700 - 800 KB for my images now).

First posted

Sep 21 2007, 02:46 PM

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Well, Emily . . . you've got those of us with older eyes squinting and leaning up to the monitor screen to see your fossils. Your images seem to be in focus and bright enough. But, all of your images have the same problem -- the fossil part of the image is too small.

Are you aware that in the above image the single tooth occupies less than one percent of the available image space?

Here are some tips for producing more useful images of fossils:

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware at http://www.irfanview.com/ ).

You can be as creative as you want to be with the software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows. Halogen bulbs are better for photography than tungsten filament bulbs. The new compact flourescent bulbs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. The images directly from a camera usually are too large for posting directly to a forum. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly 500 KB (I routinely use 700 - 800 KB for my images now).

First posted

Sep 21 2007, 02:46 PM

haha sorry, i have very young eyes! ill break out my SLR camera and get back to you tonight ;)

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Guest bmorefossil

actually it uses up about 1/90 of the image space, thats more than 1 percent Harry, so thats 1.11..... percent?

actually it uses up about 1/90 of the image space, thats more than 1 percent Harry, so thats 1.11..... percent?

screwed up again, did I? Don't be a niggler, 'bmore'. ^_^

What seest thou else

Guest bmorefossil

i had to look that one up harry, make sure you wernt calling me something else, 1. to criticize, esp. constantly or repeatedly, in a peevish or petty way; carp: to niggle about the fine points of interpretation; preferring to niggle rather than take steps to correct a situation.

2. to spend too much time and effort on inconsequential details: It's difficult to be meticulous and not niggle.

both work great in this situation, but no matter how close of a picture she gets people are going to say the same thing, worn sharks teeth and a cuda tooth, but I understand that you want a closer image of the fossils without making the image to large because then you couldnt see it. B)

oh and no you did not screw up or anything, no one screws up, people make mistakes, in this situation I do not see how you could have made a mistake you just threw out some random numbers

and when was the first time you screwed up, I have never heard of such non-sense

i had to look that one up harry, make sure you wernt calling me something else, 1. to criticize, esp. constantly or repeatedly, in a peevish or petty way; carp: to niggle about the fine points of interpretation; preferring to niggle rather than take steps to correct a situation.

2. to spend too much time and effort on inconsequential details: It's difficult to be meticulous and not niggle.

both work great in this situation, but no matter how close of a picture she gets people are going to say the same thing, worn sharks teeth and a cuda tooth, but I understand that you want a closer image of the fossils without making the image to large because then you couldnt see it. B)

oh and no you did not screw up or anything, no one screws up, people make mistakes, in this situation I do not see how you could have made a mistake you just threw out some random numbers

and when was the first time you screwed up, I have never heard of such non-sense

Actually, I did do some measurements to come up with the estimation I gave. I don't throw out random information -- that's not me.

I was having a chuckle, 'bmore'; glad I could help you with your vocabulary. :P But now you're being tedious. I can see everything you can see, within the limitations of my old eyes. I have a high-speed connection and a 22-inch monitor, so size of the image is not an issue.

I'm uncertain about what it is you are saying. Are you suggesting that it is effective to post images in which one percent of the image is fossil?? I think it's worthwhile to remind subscribers, newbies in particular, that there are simple ways to improve the effectiveness of their images. Why would anyone want anything but the best for the forum subscribers?

What seest thou else

batch #2 of unidentified things....

this smooth rounded pebbly thing has cuts into it...

3200848528_f36c44738c.jpg

the other side has deeper cuts that arent so close together

3200848652_e3c89b6c9f.jpg

this looks kind of like a fish scale?(back)

3200848900_71f2c2c119.jpg

front

3200003311_ec9c38a9e5.jpg

sorry harry if my photo skills aren't developed enough for you, i dont have the time to go adjusting my images, and people helped me with the last pics, so i might as well give it a shot :)

I have dabbled in photography for a while (no SLR yet, but I'm close), but haven't done much in the way of 'indoor, staged' photography like with the specimen shots. I was messing around with settings and things for quite a while the other day trying to get some decent shots of my fossils. I think I can get much better quality and just crop what I want now. Great tips, Harry. Thanks!

As to the original topic of the post. I am sorry I can't help much there. The ray plate pics that have been posted look very similar to what you have. Cool stuff though!

(emmytee)...sorry harry if my photo skills aren't developed enough for you, i dont have the time to go adjusting my images, and people helped me with the last pics, so i might as well give it a shot :)

No apology necessary, Emily. I do understand time constraints. Your images will get all the attention they merit, I'm sure. :)

What seest thou else