Show Us Your Favorite Megalodon Tooth!

TyrannosaurusRex

I really like the color. I hadn't seen teeth from the Meg Ledge until fairly recently.

Marco Sr.

I've seen 5-gal buckets full of Megs from the Meg Ledge; I know someone who dives for them and sells them to a dealer. It seemed like every tooth in the bucket was over 4" and most were in the 5" range, with a couple at or near 6". Most had wear and damage, but some were in pretty decent shape.

I've seen 5-gal buckets full of Megs from the Meg Ledge; I know someone who dives for them and sells them to a dealer. It seemed like every tooth in the bucket was over 4" and most were in the 5" range, with a couple at or near 6". Most had wear and damage, but some were in pretty decent shape.

Sounds like the latest place to dive. I wonder how that site was discovered. I've heard the water is pretty deep where they are diving. I wish Megs that size were more common here in MD/VA.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Sounds like the latest place to dive. I wonder how that site was discovered. I've heard the water is pretty deep where they are diving. I wish Megs that size were more common here in MD/VA.

Marco Sr.

One diver I know (who has dived the ledge) told me the teeth were first discovered by spear fisherman. True???

One diver I know (who has dived the ledge) told me the teeth were first discovered by spear fisherman. True???

I had heard that they were diving down 100ft+. Do you know what the depth of the ledge is?

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I had heard that they were diving down 100ft+. Do you know what the depth of the ledge is?

Marco Sr.

From what I know you are correct with the dive depth. If I recall correctly the diver I know told me he was at 110 feet. Knowing nothing about scuba diving I also seem to recall the tanks were filled with something other than air. I'm sure someone familiar with the sport will jump in with more informative info on the particulars of meg ledge diving.

Also, I recall one of our TFF members once posted his experiences with diving the ledge - maybe megateeth??

You found that tooth or you found that tooth in a shop?

I am offended! ;) No, not really. I actually found this tooth!

My family frequented Venice on spring break vacation, and we were used to looking for teeth that washed up in the waves. I surmise that the beach was maintained by dredging sand from the ocean. There was a short 2'-3' bank of sand running the entire length of the beach where waves had removed material during high tide. Being the Bill Nye educated child that I was, I was sifting through the vertically exposed wall of sand. I vividly remember reaching for a rather benign portion of black protruding from the wall, and this Megalodon tooth came out! I remember running back to show my parents. Years later they informed me that they were both shocked and amazed that I, a kid, had found this out of the ordinary item. I showed it off everywhere, and even broughth it with me to a few stores to compare it to other teeth that were on display. I remember thinking it was worth about $60. But I'll never sell it, haha.

Being a diver, I have looked into diving the Meg Ledge. I'm not sure when boats started running charters there, but I did my first Meg dive in Venice, Fl. in 2009 and the Meg Ledge seemed like a popular dive back then. I remember thinking I would get a couple shallow dives (< 30 feet) in Venice before thinking about the Meg Ledge. As a few of you have noted, the dives are typically 110ft+, which means you need an advanced open water certification. Unfortunately, I have not gotten around to getting my advanced certification. I believe many of the divers use various blends of gases, like Nitrox and Trimax (higher O2 blends), which requires an additional certification (I actually have a Nitrox certification, so I'm good there). I know there are charters that run from both Wilmington and Carolina beach, and maybe others (I believe the ledge is closer to Carolina beach). From my understanding the ledge is 50 miles from Wilmington and takes 2.5 to 3 hours each way, depending on water conditions. Bill (Megateeth) posted a thread on this site last May from a dive he did at the ledge after the Aurora Fossil Festival. He had some nice finds including one tooth that was almost 7 inches (with the tip missing). He also found a really nice GW tooth. I will paste a link in a post following this one, as last time I surfed away I lost everything I wrote. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by Hunt4teeth

I actually found this tooth!

Oohh Venice NC?

*face palm*, Hah, fail.. I didn't find it in Venice, CA--I found it in Venice, FL! I put the wrong state, probably out of habit (I live in California) - Venice, Florida: http://www.venice-fla.com/index.htm

I've also edited my original post to say Venice, FL. Just FYI.

AHHH, I was confused by your Venice CA post. I lived in that area and never heard of a "meg on the beach".

Thanks friend!!!

Edited by PRK

Being a diver, I have looked into diving the Meg Ledge. I'm not sure when boats started running charters there, but I did my first Meg dive in Venice, Fl. in 2009 and the Meg Ledge seemed like a popular dive back then. I remember thinking I would get a couple shallow dives (< 30 feet) in Venice before thinking about the Meg Ledge. As a few of you have noted, the dives are typically 110ft+, which means you need an advanced open water certification. Unfortunately, I have not gotten around to getting my advanced certification. I believe many of the divers use various blends of gases, like Nitrox and Trimax (higher O2 blends), which requires an additional certification (I actually have a Nitrox certification, so I'm good there). I know there are charters that run from both Wilmington and Carolina beach, and maybe others (I believe the ledge is closer to Carolina beach). From my understanding the ledge is 50 miles from Wilmington and takes 2.5 to 3 hours each way, depending on water conditions. Bill (Megateeth) posted a thread on this site last May from a dive he did at the ledge after the Aurora Fossil Festival. He had some nice finds including one tooth that was almost 7 inches (with the tip missing). He also found a really nice GW tooth. I will paste a link in a post following this one, as last time I surfed away I lost everything I wrote. Hope this is helpful.

I made cold water wreck dives down to 110ft years ago when I was diving. However we didn't have the blends of gases then, at least the sport divers didn't and our equipment wasn't what you have today. I can tell you that those long boat rides in rough water were not fun. Plus we had very short bottom times, unless the dive was set up with decompression stops along an ascent line. We had to use the Navy dive tables to plan our dive times. We also didn't have all the certifications although I remember getting at least one additional certification that was open water and compass use related. My first fossil hunt was actually a fossil dive in the Chesapeake Bay with my dive club. No one found a single tooth. The water was just too murky. But that started my fossil interest. My sons are thinking of getting certified but I'm no longer interested in 110ft dives, although 7 inch Megs are very tempting.

Marco Sr.

I had actually seen this post but didn't pick up the Ledge references. I need to actually read these posts versus just looking at the pictures.

Marco Sr.

Not 100% on this but pretty close that you can also charter out of Hatteras Village, NC. I do a lot of fishing down that way and saw a post on one of the fishing sites last year from a guy that claimed to have combo chartered out of there for a spear fishing/fossil dive. He posted pics of a really nice haul of teeth (makos, megs, etc...). If looking for a spot you may want to call them as they may be diving another less visited location.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine. I still love the color and unique pattern in this tooth compared to all the rest. It is a 5.8 inch Summerville Meg.

Wow, mine has almost the same color combination:

post-14501-0-83657500-1395987153_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-11720200-1395987163_thumb.jpg

a lower right at 5.

Chas.,

That's great display piece - not too many sites that product matrix pieces like that. It doesn't look like it was assembled. Hard to tell from a photo but if you can see that there is glue deep into it, then it was probably put together. If there is just some glue (or shellac as was used in previous decades) at the surface to keep it from shedding silt, then it is a natural association.

I have a smaller similar piece I will get a photo of. I like mine too even though the tooth isn't complete because the tooth and matrix has some extra color.

Also, the formation is the Round Mountain Silt. It is no longer considered a member of the Temblor Fm.

Jess

It isn't a museum grade specimen, by any stretch, but the in-matrix association makes it a nice display:

attachicon.gifMeg-Vert.JPG

Round Mountain Silt Member of the Middle Miocene Temblor Formation

I have several that come to mind, but will submit this one for now... (6.6" pathological Chilean)

6.6" Pathological Chilean Megalodon

Edited by big2th
  • I found this Informative 1

I have several that come to mind, but will submit this one for now... (6.6" pathological Chilean)

Yea I would say that one is safe to call a favorite! Outstanding tooth!

• 3 weeks later...