Tiny Tooth

Stonebone

It's been pretty cold here in Kansas the last couple of days, so I decided to go through some matrix that I collected from the basal Greenhorn, bottom of the Lincoln Limestone. This matrix is full of sharks teeth, bone fragments, fish teeth, gastroliths, clam shell fragments and lots of coprolites. I thought I would share these photos I took with my iPhone with my 5x loop held in front of the camera. I haven't id'd the small tooth yet. The squalicorax is 10mm.

>Michael

post-12957-0-13888100-1393380351_thumb.jpg

post-12957-0-87847700-1393380432_thumb.jpg

i don't know what the other tooth is, but i have a squalicorax (falcatus) from Texas and they're quite nice teeth. great find anyways, sorry i couldn't help you.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Very nice!

I like micros, but I don't know shark teeth. The matrix looks like it's a lot of fun to work with!

Thank you for the comments. Exposures of this layer are hard to find where I hunt. It is usually covered by the debris field from the eroding layers above it with vegetation on top of that.

KansasFossilHunter, After doing some research I believe Scapanorhynchus is probably correct.

>Michael

I don't see any striations on the tooth crown which are typical of S. texanus.

It would be good to see the whole tooth but it looks much cooler in the matrix.

Nice find.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Stonebone, It looks like the striations may of worn off if it is Scapanorhynchus.

I usually get in trouble when offering ID's. Sometimes you can see striations at the nutrient band

(The narrow line between root and crown)

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

That layer is the sweet spot isn't it! I went out today and found a little exposure of it. (I like road graders!) Every time you can find that layer, you can almost guarantee at least a few small teeth, and plenty of bone fragments. Looks like we are in for some more winter, so stay warm.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Ramo,

Yes it is. It's like going fishing and not being able to cast without catching a fish. Once you find it, it's like ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... So ready for spring. :)