Tuesday Hunt -- Late Cretaceous, Alabama

dirtdauber

A friend and I collected on a creek that we hadn't visited since last Fall earlier this week. The water was a little high and murky but we lucked-out on a couple of rare finds, at least for us. The sediments are Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian), Selma Group, Ripley Formation. The first photo is a fish skull, as found, no preparation. Guessing that it is an Enchodus sp. skull. The other photos are what I'm guessing to be a large dermal denticle (thorn) from a ray. It is more than an inch tall (26 mm), 35 mm on the long slant, 26 mm on the short slant, and has a concave base. Thanks for looking.

post-117-0-23527700-1393600071_thumb.jpg post-117-0-03426800-1393600116_thumb.jpg post-117-0-61084100-1393600145_thumb.jpg post-117-0-07473900-1393600171_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The skull is a great find. I think you are right that the other object is a dermal thorn. Similar ones found in North Africa were once believed to be rostral teeth of sawfish and were named Peyeria. It is now believed that Peyeria are dermal thorns of the sawfish Onchopristis.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds - cool fish skull!

The skull is a great find. I think you are right that the other object is a dermal thorn. Similar ones found in North Africa were once believed to be rostral teeth of sawfish and were named Peyeria. It is now believed that Peyeria are dermal thorns of the sawfish Onchopristis.

Good info! I was almost ready to saw sawfish rostral tooth myself as a best guess. It superficially resembles specimens that I have that are in fact sawfish rostral teeth, but they are from the Eocene.

Daryl.

Nice finds - cool fish skull!

Good info! I was almost ready to saw sawfish rostral tooth myself as a best guess. It superficially resembles specimens that I have that are in fact sawfish rostral teeth, but they are from the Eocene.

Daryl.

Wow, really nice dorsal dermal thorn. I don't think that I've seen one of those from the US before. I agree with Al Dente. Cappetta calls very similar looking specimens from Egypt dorsal dermal thorns from Onchopristis. Those thorns were about 25mm high which also matches your specimen in size.

Eocene Propristis rostral teeth can look similar. However, Pristidae don't appear until the early Eocene.

Do you ever take small river gravel home to search? A lot of Cretaceous shark and ray teeth can be as small as .4mm. Onchopristis oral teeth would be bigger than that but would still be really small.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

awesome finds OP! Thanks for sharing.

Al Dente & Marco,

So did Cappetta move these "Peyeria" dermal scutes to Onchopristis in the latest Handbook update?

We get these very rarely in NJ from the late Campanian, but there is yet no record for Onchopristis here.

Marco, there are a couple of these posted on the forum in NJ threads, but they are definitely very rare. I don't have any and I only know of about 4 specimens in total among NJ collectors. They are always found as float so its not clear what formation or bed they are coming from, but either way they still would be latest Campanian.

-steve

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Real trip makers. I've been lucky to find a couple Enchodus jaws, but never any portion of what it was attached to. Excellent.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Al Dente & Marco,

So did Cappetta move these "Peyeria" dermal scutes to Onchopristis in the latest Handbook update?

That is where I got my information. The modern shark ray (Rhina ancylostoma) has identicle thorns on its back and head. I wouldn't be surprised if other species have had similar thorns throughout the fossil record.

Here's a picture from the Fossils Online website http://www.fossilsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1064

post-2301-0-62358000-1393612873_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks all for the comments.

Al Dente -- I hadn't thought of sawfish dermal thorns, but that sounds plausible. I wouldn't think Onchopristis, since I believe they are earlier than Maastrichtian and have not, to my knowledge, been reported from the Ripley Fm. However, I collected a sawfish rostrum (Ishryrhiza mira) from this location about 3 years ago, so maybe it could belong to I. mira.

MarcoSr -- Thanks for the comments. Yes, I do sometimes take sediment home to search, but have not from this site. Most of the gravel-sized sediment here consists mostly of clay balls, broken crab and ammonite nodules, and a few quartzite gravel. The little sifting I've done at this site has been unproductive.

Again, I appreciate all the comments.

George

Al Dente & Marco,

We get these very rarely in NJ from the late Campanian, but there is yet no record for Onchopristis here.

Marco, there are a couple of these posted on the forum in NJ threads, but they are definitely very rare. I don't have any and I only know of about 4 specimens in total among NJ collectors. They are always found as float so its not clear what formation or bed they are coming from, but either way they still would be latest Campanian.

-steve

Steve

Yes, that is in Cappetta's 2012 Handbook. I missed the thorns here in the NJ threads. Thanks for pointing out that they have been found before in NJ.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

MarcoSr -- Thanks for the comments. Yes, I do sometimes take sediment home to search, but have not from this site. Most of the gravel-sized sediment here consists mostly of clay balls, broken crab and ammonite nodules, and a few quartzite gravel. The little sifting I've done at this site has been unproductive.

George

George

Most sites that I collect are like your site where it is either difficult to collect matrix or the matrix is unproductive.

Marco Sr.

That is where I got my information. The modern shark ray (Rhina ancylostoma) has identicle thorns on its back and head. I wouldn't be surprised if other species have had similar thorns throughout the fossil record.

Here's a picture from the Fossils Online website http://www.fossilsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1064

attachicon.gifrhina ancylostoma.jpg

yeah i have seen those. remarkably similar to these Peyeria, but also quite a diverse assortment of sizes and shapes in that one specimen. theres probably quite a bit of informed guesswork with figuring out who a lot of these dermal denticles actually come from

Steve

Yes, that is in Cappetta's 2012 Handbook. I missed the thorns here in the NJ threads. Thanks for pointing out that they have been found before in NJ.

Marco Sr.

yeah sorry i cant find any links for you, but i think i remember who on here posted them if you care enough to search through their old posts

yeah sorry i cant find any links for you, but i think i remember who on here posted them if you care enough to search through their old posts

Steve

Let me know who made the posts. I would like to see other examples. I'll try to find the post.

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr

I know Darwin Ahoy has one and I think Sharktoothboy. I think I also recall seeing one from texas posted on here, but not sure about that.

I remember someone from Texas showing a bunch of dermal scutes from some type of shark. I remember because they were so cool looking. They looked almost like jewels. I believe they were different colors as well as different sizes. I'd love to find some of those.

Ramo

I found it, but don't know how to post a link. It was started by Lance Hall, called "Dent-A-Cull"

Edited by Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I remember someone from Texas showing a bunch of dermal scutes from some type of shark. I remember because they were so cool looking. They looked almost like jewels. I believe they were different colors as well as different sizes. I'd love to find some of those.

Ramo

I found it, but don't know how to post a link. It was started by Lance Hall, called "Dent-A-Cull"

Here is the link.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/6667-dent-a-cull/

Marco Sr.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, Marco Sr., everyone,

Werner (1989) provided more discussion on Peyeria than I have have seen elsewhere. The article is written in German but I see that Peyeria is classified as a pristid. It would be the earliest by far if it is. I can't find my German dictionary but in case someone wants to track it down:

Werner, C. 1989.

Die Elasmobranchier-Fauna des Gebel Dist Member der Bahariya Formation (Overcenoman) der Oase Baharuya, Agypten. Palaeo Ichthyologia 5: 1-112. Munchen (Munich).

I'm not totally convinced Peyeria belongs to a sawfish as I haven't heard of anyone studying its histology. An interesting thin section might come out of that. What if it's from some weird sturgeon or some other fish?

Jess

yeah i have seen those. remarkably similar to these Peyeria, but also quite a diverse assortment of sizes and shapes in that one specimen. theres probably quite a bit of informed guesswork with figuring out who a lot of these dermal denticles actually come from

What is the size of that Anthony?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

• 1 year later...

I agree. North American "Peyeria" denticles would seem to belong to Ischyrhiza because that is the common link between the New Jersey, Texas, Ripley Fm., and Hell Creek Fm., sites. The extreme rarity of these denticles may result from them being more fragile than teeth. Even from the Kem Kem beds of Morocco from where they are most often seen, they are often found damaged. Perhaps these denticles are also rare because they existed only in a single row on the animal - if so, down the center of the back?. It appears that for whatever reason, the "Peyeria" denticles present in Onchopristis persisted in a sclerorhynchid lineage that included only Ischyrhiza because they are not found in association with other sclerorhynchids where Ischyrhiza is absent (none known from the well-sampled Maastrichtian phosphate layers in Morocco).

Thanks all for the comments.

Al Dente -- I hadn't thought of sawfish dermal thorns, but that sounds plausible. I wouldn't think Onchopristis, since I believe they are earlier than Maastrichtian and have not, to my knowledge, been reported from the Ripley Fm. However, I collected a sawfish rostrum (Ishryrhiza mira) from this location about 3 years ago, so maybe it could belong to I. mira.

Again, I appreciate all the comments.

George

• 3 years later...

Here is one from North Carolina.  Similar to those I found on page 6 of the paper written by Phillip C. Sternes and Kenshu Shimada on the Late Cretaceous sawfish Ischyrhiza mira from North America based on new anatomical data.

asawf.jpg

• I found this Informative 2