Florida Sifting

jcbshark

Nice finds. Very jealous of your hunting conditions. Hunting in shorts/no shirt is a dream in these parts right now. 20 and snowing heavily in these parts.

Nice finds. Very jealous of your hunting conditions. Hunting in shorts/no shirt is a dream in these parts right now. 20 and snowing heavily in these parts.

Thank you hokiehunter, this is definitely the place to be this time of year!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Really nice finds! I can tell you several places not to hunt at Horse Creek after this past weekend, lots of deep dark and slow water there. If the water gauge is ever 1-2 feet there it would be ok, but we dug 3 feet and still sand at every area. Back to the peace this weekend with the jon boat :)

Edited by TheCracker

Really nice finds! I can tell you several places not to hunt at Horse Creek after this past weekend, lots of deep dark and slow water there. If the water gauge is ever 1-2 feet there it would be ok, but we dug 3 feet and still sand at every area. Back to the peace this weekend with the jon boat :)

Thanks Brian and Good luck this weekend! :)

Hello,

My son and I are heading to Tampa from California in April. We will be staying in Yankeetown on the Withlacoochee River. He is 13 and an aspiring paleontologist. I have to say that the last two trips we took to look for fossils (not in Florida) were a bust, and his interest is waning. Our "sites" were based on somewhat non-specific internet locations. We spent more time driving around looking for something that vaguely looked like a fossil, than collecting anything but despair.

I understand there are some Eocene marine beds, and some Pleistocene terrestrial deposits in our general area. Can anyone supply SPECIFIC directions as to where to look? We have a car and will be mobile, so day trips are okay.

Please help me keep his interest peaked! He will make a great scientist some day. If video games don't replace rockhounding due to lack of findings...

Thanks,

Tina

BTW - we will likely not be hiking back in miles through gator-ridden swamps, so I am not asking for your secret locations... last June we were nearly trampled to death by an angry female moose in the backwoods of Alaska whilst fossil hunting, so I need to find a place that is not in the middle of nowhere surrounded by lethal animals. Anything that remotely looks like a gator attack, and my ex will never allow me to take him on any more fossil adventures. With that said, we are not expecting to find mammoth skulls or anything as cool as the pictures shown above. Terrestrial would be fabulous, but marine would likely keep his interest. But then, a tapir tooth would send him in geo-heaven!

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Kimberlight (Geologist, but apparent poor locator of fossils)

I understand there are some Eocene marine beds, and some Pleistocene terrestrial deposits in our general area. Can anyone supply SPECIFIC directions as to where to look? We have a car and will be mobile, so day trips are okay.

Please help me keep his interest peaked! He will make a great scientist some day. If video games don't replace rockhounding due to lack of findings...

Thanks,

Tina

Tina, I sent you a private message.

BTW - we will likely not be hiking back in miles through gator-ridden swamps, so I am not asking for your secret locations... last June we were nearly trampled to death by an angry female moose in the backwoods of Alaska whilst fossil hunting, so I need to find a place that is not in the middle of nowhere surrounded by lethal animals. Anything that remotely looks like a gator attack, and my ex will never allow me to take him on any more fossil adventures. With that said, we are not expecting to find mammoth skulls or anything as cool as the pictures shown above. Terrestrial would be fabulous, but marine would likely keep his interest. But then, a tapir tooth would send him in geo-heaven! Thanks for your help,Best regards, Kimberlight (Geologist, but apparent poor locator of fossils)

I sent you one as well