Pricing Guide

2gould

Does anyone know if a "pricing guide" or something similar that exitsts for fossils - specifically fossil fish. I would of course prefer to find and collect my own specimens; however, I am not opposed to buying either, i just don't want to be ripped off. I understand the quality of the piece will influence price, but I am looking for something that will give me a clue as to what the ballpark or average price one should pay for a split level Knighta (just for an example)? Thoughts?

Much appreciated

Charley

Guest bmorefossil
Does anyone know if a "pricing guide" or something similar that exitsts for fossils - specifically fossil fish. I would of course prefer to find and collect my own specimens; however, I am not opposed to buying either, i just don't want to be ripped off. I understand the quality of the piece will influence price, but I am looking for something that will give me a clue as to what the ballpark or average price one should pay for a split level Knighta (just for an example)? Thoughts?

Much appreciated

Charley

You could always try comparing websites, one site sells a fish for $180 the other $150. Size, rarity, and how complete it is will effect the price

Yeah, i have searched ebay and done some basic comparisons but I was hoping there was something out there a little more "reliable" than ebay. But I guess the price is ultimately what the market determines. Other thoughts?

Guest bmorefossil
Yeah, i have searched ebay and done some basic comparisons but I was hoping there was something out there a little more "reliable" than ebay. But I guess the price is ultimately what the market determines. Other thoughts?

but in the end its really up to the seller, if you think its worth a certain amount then you should sell it for that

I dont think that anything like this can even exist, or if it would, how can it have any validity? The price depends on the size, number of fossils, quality looks, size and weight of rock, and other factors. it also depends on who is selling or reselling the item. Prices can also change depending dramatically over time. I dont think anyone would ever consider prerparing a guide like that

in the example you cited, how the fish was oriented on the matrix, and the quality of the preparation, would probably have a huge impact on what it's value would be to me. some fossils are desireable due to rarity, and some are akin to art, where you ask yourself, "how would that look on my wall?"

You are probably right. I guess I will just have to continually look at the sale of similar items and make a determination that way. However, such pricing guides exist for Indian Artifacts which are similar to fossils in that some are more rare, in better condition etc. So i am a bit surprised that something similar doesn't exist for fossils.

in the example you cited, how the fish was oriented on the matrix, and the quality of the preparation, would probably have a huge impact on what it's value would be to me. some fossils are desireable due to rarity, and some are akin to art, where you ask yourself, "how would that look on my wall?"

A very good point Tracer.

although no price guide exists, you basically have the same thing right here. just post a high quality picture of what it is you want to buy and the price ans we together can tell you if it is a good price or even show you a better deal for the same fossil. others have done this and it works well. especially with the market changeing so dramatically on certain items, ie chinese and south american fossils.

Brock

Dr. Bruce Stinchcomb has published a number of books dealing with fossils, in them he has assigned value ranges. The latest dealt with Cretaceous material, which I haven't purchased yet. He is slated to publish a couple of more books on newer material. If you google him, you'll see the titles.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

although no price guide exists, you basically have the same thing right here. just post a high quality picture of what it is you want to buy and the price ans we together can tell you if it is a good price or even show you a better deal for the same fossil. others have done this and it works well. especially with the market changeing so dramatically on certain items, ie chinese and south american fossils.

Brock

Great idea. Thanks

Dr. Bruce Stinchcomb has published a number of books dealing with fossils, in them he has assigned value ranges. The latest dealt with Cretaceous material, which I haven't purchased yet. He is slated to publish a couple of more books on newer material. If you google him, you'll see the titles.

Brent Ashcraft

I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion