Help On Identifying Trilobite Authenticity

Melissawow

This is a very dubious trilobite I've purchased. There are lots of disagreements among other fossil collectors regarding it's authenticity. Here are some of their conclusions about it

(1) A fake
(2) Genuine, but bad preparation work
(3) Restored on the missing parts, with galbella and axial rings are real

Do tell me what you think. Thank you.

post-14852-0-51010400-1396050471_thumb.jpg

post-14852-0-44857000-1396050487_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Is there any information about where these trilobites supposedly came from?

What size are they?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Any other info you have will be helpful, but right now, to me, it's not looking good...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I haven't been doing this long, but my first impression is that it is real. To fake the outside edges like that would be far more work than what the faker would profit in return. I also believe that it is horrible prep work and that if you have anybody with experience near you that can do good prep work, have them remove the rock on top of the rest of the trilo. It looks like whoever collected it, got a lucky split on a rock and that was the extent of their efforts. All that is visible is the raised parts of the trilobite but it doesn't look like any effort at all was put in to removing the rest of the matrix. I think it's under there and worth at least a look by someone who can prep it for you. Also, if you look at the texture of the visible pieces, that again would be way too much work to fake for the money one could get for a single trilobite. Tough to really tell from a picture, but that's how I would proceed.

He he, those look to be trilobites from china. These doubles are how those bugs look before abrasive preparation. These specimens are dead ringers of the unprep quality of the specimens I saw/ brought back from china. The complete dorsal shield is under the matrix which just needs to be blasted off, so i then used an air abrasive on them with good results, although I don't recognize the variety of trilos

Edited by PRK

They certainly do look like Chinese trilobites, as mentioned the matrix and preservation are good clues. If I discover the genus on these I'll post comparison photos.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If they were mine, I'd be taking away more matrix. As an experiment, you may wish to take a needle and pry at the margin anywhere the exposed "black" area abuts a higher plane of matrix. See if the matrix pops off revealing more of the fossil. Most of all have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

For what it's worth, to me as a non-expert it doesn't look like any prep was done on these (or minimal, at least), and this would be a good thing because then you could take it to someone who can do the work for you.. and it doesn't look fake - if it is, it doesn't look like they were cobbled together, more likely cast as one, but then why fake something that is unprepped?

I wouldn't pry up any of the black part - if it's real and I am interpreting correctly, you want to matrix on top of the black bugs to be removed but only by someone who knows what they're doing.

For what it's worth, to me as a non-expert it doesn't look like any prep was done on these (or minimal, at least), and this would be a good thing because then you could take it to someone who can do the work for you.. and it doesn't look fake - if it is, it doesn't look like they were cobbled together, more likely cast as one, but then why fake something that is unprepped?

I wouldn't pry up any of the black part - if it's real and I am interpreting correctly, you want to matrix on top of the black bugs to be removed but only by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The "black" part is the fossil. The needle prying I suggested is to be applied to the abutting matrix. In the photo there appear to be areas that are raised above the surface of the black (fossil) material. I would pry there, if it chips off and reveals more "black" there's evidence of fossil material to be revealed.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See