AncientEarth

I'd like to get some input on this specimen I found mid-week last week. It's slightly different than the usual Carcharodon carcharias that I have been finding.

The formation is Early Pliocene in age.

Is this is a C. hubbelli? It is possible this washed in from an older formation and was deposited during the Pliocene, however that is just theory/conjecture at this point.

The wavy serrations on both sides are what are throwing me off, I don't know if that's a deformation or vestigial cusps. The tooth measures 7 cm/2.76 in on the dot.

post-11327-0-86515200-1396225493_thumb.jpg

I see that sort of gnarliness on big teeth from time to time, enough so that I think of it as 'occasionally normal', and not really a pathology.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex,

In that case, I'll stick with C. carcharias.

caldigger, get on the mend and let's go hit the valley soon.

I see that sort of gnarliness on big teeth from time to time, enough so that I think of it as 'occasionally normal', and not really a pathology.

Agree with Auspex. This "waviness" at the juncture of the crown and root is occasionally found on the teeth of Carcharodon carcharis.

fossilselachian, thanks for the second opinion.

I have to familiarize myself with the Lamniformes it seems.

Interesting! Thinking back to those marine mammal specimens, I initially had doubts about the young age of that locality, but with this - and the other Carcharodon tooth - it is certainly Pliocene. Not sure if this is truly C. hubbelli; C. hubbelli teeth in the Purisima Fm. are restricted to about 5-6 Ma, barely into the Pliocene, and indeed have tiny, tiny serrations.

Regardless of species identification, this puts a 6 Ma maximum age on your locality. Got any idea what unit it is? Pismo Fm? Sisquoc Fm?