Rare Uk Red Crag Gastropod...

Fossil Magnet

Hi guys! :)

Here's another one that I don't know that hopefully one of you will... It's from the Late Pleistocene Red Crag Formation at Walton-on-the-Naze, Suffolk, England. It looks a lot like a Pterynotus species to me, but I'm really not sure... Its abot 2cm tall:

post-1215-1232413558_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

Its Pteryophis binominatus, very nice specimen. The other species you occasionally see at Walton is Pteryophis canhami, nether are common.

Thanks for your comments guys!! :)

Moropus... Not sure if they still live today, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chris Newman could answer that question for you...

Chris... Once again, thank you! I tried to get this one ID-ed on a UK forum, and no one seemed to have the slightest inkling of what it was, other than that it might be a relative of Pterynotus, even the Crag experts. I guessed then that it was pretty rare. My girlfriend will be over the moon! She found it on our very first visit to Walton-on-the-Naze, if you can credit that! I'm starting to see what Bill means - you certainly know your Crag fossils...

All the best!

Gethin :)

It looks a lot to a Melongena member:

Pugilina Subcarinata

Paleocene-Eocene

Could this fossil been translated from other strata? Did you found it in the beach?

Hi Moropus! :)

You're right there, they do look a lot alike, but I'm pretty confident that Chris Newman has got it right. I know Bill on a UK forum, and he knows his Crag stuff very well indeed, although he humbly admits that he learned most of it from Chris, which I can well believe. Here's a pic of the reverse side for comparison...

post-1215-1232482041_thumb.jpg

Once again, thanks for your input Moropus. I really like your helpful attitude, same as with Bill and Chris. Between the 3 of you I'm sure I could learn a lot...

Gethin :)

ps. I nearly forgot to answer your question. It was collected in the slippages, and at first I thought it might be a derived fossil from an earlier stratum...