Sand Dollars

KLM

Hello, my name is Kevin and I have been collecting odd fossils over the years and I wanted to get some information on a few of them. I collected this stone with maybe 20-30 sand dollars embedded through it with whole ones showing the bottom of the sand dollars on the back side. This was dug up around 2-3 miles inland from the ocean in San Diego about 30 years ago. Had it packed in the basement last 10 years. Would anyone be able to determine how old something like this is? Thanks in advance!

post-15018-0-62743900-1397608203_thumb.jpg

They might be Dendraster ashleyi, known from the area. If so, they would be from the Pliocene, between 5 and 1.8 MYBP.

I like 'em!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the reply and I had to google those answers. A great deal older than the few thousand years I was thinking they were possibly. Sounds fairly common for the San Diego area but maybe the best find for me.

a delightful display piece. common or not, i'd display it with pride

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That is an awesome display piece.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

It does look like ashleyi which in that area comes from the San Diego Formation - Late Pliocene (2-3 million years old). in the Pleistocene you start seeing the modern species, D. excentricus.

I have an ashleyi (San Diego Formation) from a site around Chula Vista.

Jess

They might be Dendraster ashleyi, known from the area. If so, they would be from the Pliocene, between 5 and 1.8 MYBP.

I like 'em!

RJB - If you mean cleaning it up yes. I'm not sure how to do this myself. Looks like compressed sand and I thought I could use a toothbrush and water to clean it up but its more of a sandy cement that's very hard.

Very nice display piece----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

• 5 months later...

Yup, Auspex and siteseer are right on the money - Dendraster ashleyi from the San Diego Fm. However, the formation is now known to be as old as 4.5 Ma, so the lower marine portion is better categorized as just "Pliocene". Definitely some nice specimens - we get the same species up north in the Purisima Fm., and maybe in the Merced Fm. as well.

• 3 years later...

WOW, How time goes by.  I would like to get more info on cleaning up this fossil.  It was suggested to soak in vinegar to help loosen some of the sandstone.  Does anyone think that would help?  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, KLM said:

WOW, How time goes by.  I would like to get more info on cleaning up this fossil.  It was suggested to soak in vinegar to help loosen some of the sandstone.  Does anyone think that would help?  Thanks again.

in prep when you're not sure, always go with the most gentle cleaning tools and technique.  Check to see the effectiveness of just water and a soft toothbrush.  Don't soak the chunk or parts of it may fall apart.  If water doesn't do anything, try vinegar.  If vinegar doesn't do anything, you can do searches for "cleaning sand dollars" or similar phrases here on the forum.  Some encrustations are tough (tougher than the surrounding sand dollar) so you might have to go with a "sand blaster" that shoots powders of various grits depending on how serious you want to get.  Some people have used grinders but you might try an old-fashioned metal file - something with a relatively fine filing surface like the one on a Swiss Army Knife.  Be patient.  Go easy.

Look for a local lapidary shop and see if someone has experience with fossils.  Check the local gem and mineral clubs.  

• I found this Informative 2

Hi,

Most of sea urchins are in calcite. If it is the case, vinegar will "eat" calcite ! Be careful !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I spent 2 hours working on it today with some vinegar and a toothbrush.  Rinsed with cool water afterwards. Made a little progress.  Also included a picture of the back side.  I would like to expose more layers on the front at the top and bottom and for that matter the back side if possible.

Sand Dollars 2a.jpg

Sand Dollars3a.jpg

On 12/5/2017 at 10:42 PM, siteseer said:

in prep when you're not sure, always go with the most gentle cleaning tools and technique.  Check to see the effectiveness of just water and a soft toothbrush.  Don't soak the chunk or parts of it may fall apart.  If water doesn't do anything, try vinegar.  If vinegar doesn't do anything, you can do searches for "cleaning sand dollars" or similar phrases here on the forum.  Some encrustations are tough (tougher than the surrounding sand dollar) so you might have to go with a "sand blaster" that shoots powders of various grits depending on how serious you want to get.  Some people have used grinders but you might try an old-fashioned metal file - something with a relatively fine filing surface like the one on a Swiss Army Knife.  Be patient.  Go easy.

Look for a local lapidary shop and see if someone has experience with fossils.  Check the local gem and mineral clubs.  

Thank you!

6 hours ago, KLM said:

I have worked on it several more hours with vinegar and toothbrush but not really getting anywhere.

You could try a wire brush under running water. Bronze is softer than steel, so it's probably better to use the latter. You just have to be careful that it doesn't scratch the fossil. Any residue left by the brush can be washed away with soapy water. It may however become difficult if the hard sediment has penetrated the fossil in places. Then you should leave it as is.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/