Egg Fossil Or Concretion? Dinosaur Or Otherwise?

najork

Any insight into the photos of this purported dinosaur egg fossil?

I'm interested in purchasing it from a local seller, and I plan on seeing it in person this weekend. Seller acquired it from an estate sale and doesn't know any background on it, and now he's reselling for profit. We are located in Arizona, but of course the origins of the "egg" are unknown.

I'm prepared for the most likely answer -- that it's an every day concretion that's shaped like an egg. But in the off chance that is really is an egg, I wonder if it's a dinosaur egg? Do you think it's an egg?

Thanks and looking forward to your insight.

post-15043-0-96592100-1397854637_thumb.jpg

post-15043-0-23044300-1397854639_thumb.jpg

Concretion gets my vote - I do not see any eggshell structure on the outside of the item.

I defintely wouldn't spend any money on it.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would not purchase that object.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Save your money.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I vote concretion, but.....

It's similar to concretions from the PNW that house crabs. See here http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/39345-crab-concretion-buyers-guide-not-for-sale/?hl=%2Bunprepped+%2Bcrab+%2Bconcretions

Unfortunately the only way to know would be to acquire it and prep it. But i wouldn't pay more then $10 for it.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I doubt it's even a concretion. It looks to be just a rounded stream/river cobble, note the phenocrysts, and could probably be replaced by simply walking one of the dry washes in your area, within a half an hour

Edited by PRK

Looks like a suggestively shaped river cobble to me, a short walk along a river bed should get you a whole nest of them.

Hi everyone!

I so very much appreciate your insight, and I 100% agree with you. I was very much expecting for it to be a "suggestively shaped" item, as Taogan put it. It is obviously a concretion or cobble or the like, like everyone mentioned.

Thank you fossildude19, snolly50, auspex, fossilized6s, jgcox, prk, and taogan for the education and insight. Truly invaluable. I hope you don't mind newbies like myself dipping our toes into the fossil world and making some novice errors in judgement along the way.

Cheers!

I doubt it's even a concretion. It looks to be just a rounded stream/river cobble, note the phenocrysts, and could probably be replaced by simply walking one of the dry washes in your area, within a half an hour

I agree, not even a concretion. I think I can speak for many forum members when I say we do not mind helping newbies, especially when they take our advice as courteously as you did.

Guys, I have worked with these for years so believe me when I say I know what I'm talking about. You are actually all wrong. It is in fact a potato. I've seen many potatoes in my time and I've even been to Ireland. However, take comfort in the fact that it is the biggest potato I've ever seen.