Cheirotherium Footprints

DE&i

I’m in the process of cleaning this small piece of Permian New Red Sandstone with Cheirotherium footprints on it from the UK.

What I find fascinating about track ways such as these is, even though they are found all over the world there has never been found any associated bones.

I wonder how many other different track ways have been discovered with no other trace of the animal to be found at present…and are they being discovered all the time.

Regards,

Darren.

post-13364-0-43198800-1397938085_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrenElliot

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I believe the Passaic Formation here in the Eastern US has tons of trackways made by a variety of dinosaurs - but no bones.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It seems that, for terrestrial deposits in any case, there is a preservation bias for either tracks, or bones, but almost never both.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you guys for your input…so without stating the obvious are the missing bones akin to certain species out there somewhere and at present we haven’t stumbled across them yet.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

It is likely that some bones from the creature who made these tracks have been described and given a name, but there is no way to associate them with the tracks. Thus is why ichnofossils are given form-species names, and kept apart from body fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It is likely that some bones from the creature who made these tracks have been described and given a name, but there is no way to associate them with the tracks. Thus is why ichnofossils are given form-species names, and kept apart from body fossils.

Thats very interesting indeed...im guessing there are experts in this field.

Regards.....D&E&i

Thats very interesting indeed...im guessing there are experts in this field.

Yes indeed! The Dean is Martin Lockley: LINK