Eurypterid City!

RJB

My first stop on this east coast trip was to upstate NY. We actually camped at the herkkimer diamond mind in the town of Herkimer, but the euripturid quarry was only about 20 minutes away. This is the only picture I have for now, all my other specimens are in boxes. The calvert cliffs were more fun and relaxing, but this was the most exciting. Once I go through all my boxes and do whatever prep is needed I will show more pictures.

post-171-0-55546300-1400245206_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Looks like it was still cold while you was there!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Nice!! Its great when you can ID a fossil at 20 feet :D

Looking forward to see more.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I take it this was at Langs?

Great find - can't wait to see more.

How was your experience there?

I have heard mixed reviews of that place.

Expensive, I have been told.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I didn't know you could hunt in NY for Eurypterids. I thought all the quarries were private? Congrats on the find!

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice specimen. Would love to see more. Also curious if this was Lang's quarry and if so what your experience was like. Congrats and best wishes.

Thanks for all the best wishes. Yes it was rather cold there. I was wishing that Id brought a heavier coat, but once I found that beauty in the photo, the cold seemed to magicly vanish! Yes, this was at Langs quarry and it is private and it is very expensive. It was pure dumb luck how I got invited. My best friend became friends with this Lang guy and got me in for a dig, plus, he waived the $--- per day fee!!! and not only that, but just a few days before I was to meet my buddy there, he calls and tells me he cant make it! Yikes! It was a bit akward at first, but after some conversation with Lang, he turned out to be one heck of a nice guy.

I did go through some of my euripturid stuff yesterday, mostly gluing things back together on some specimens, but I will try and get more photos.

RB

Edited by JohnJ
Removed price
  • I found this Informative 2

Nice eurypterid. Always wanted to go to Lang's quarry, but the prices kept me away :( Can't wait to see the rest!

$---.... and no guarantee of a Eurypterid find? Yikes, I'll stick to Rigdemont.

Edited by JohnJ
Removed price

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

At Langs you are pretty much guaranteed Eurypterids. I wasnt charged a fee to dig but I did pay him for a near perfect 7" specimen I found. I wasnt charged for the 5-6 incomplete specimens or the plants I found. Alan also has a very cool personal collection with amazing fossils and of course meteorites.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Ok, I did a bunch of cutting with my rocksaw and took off about 60 lbs of rock. Here are some pics. Oh, some of these have the opposing side making for 2 specimens instead of just one. I am one happy camper. If you look closely you will be able to see that some of these need a bit of prep.

post-171-0-31982900-1400514433_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-98699200-1400514449_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-25149900-1400514467_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I like the Eurypterid "eating" a Eurypterid and the Pterygotus pincher is killer.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Very cool!!! I'd absolutely pay the $--- for a haul like that.....once.

I can say that now, but if I got such a nice bunch of pieces I'd probably want to go again. And again......That fossil addiction thing.

Edited by JohnJ
Removed price

The pterygoid claw is the winner for me, but then I don't have one and dream of flipping a slab one day and finding one. Heck , actually I want the whole thing not just the claw!!!!!!!

I was in my regular quarry two years ago when a fairly large pterygotus tail paddle was found. The only piece of a pterygoid I have ever seen found there.

Edited by Malcolmt

Very nice finds for one days work and well worth the 500 dollars which you didn't have to pay. You must be particularly proud of that Pterygotid claw. What a great find!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 5/19/2014 at 10:48 AM, RJB said:

Ok, I did a bunch of cutting with my rocksaw and took off about 60 lbs of rock. Here are some pics. Oh, some of these have the opposing side making for 2 specimens instead of just one. I am one happy camper. If you look closely you will be able to see that some of these need a bit of prep.

Really nice!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Something I forgot. He didn't charge me to dig, but he did charge me for most of these specimens. I was lucky though, I had brought along an intire box of prepped out crabs, which when I showed him he fell in love. It cost me about $---- in crabs for trade for all the Euripturid stuff I found. The Pterygoid claw he actually found, he kept one side and gave me the other as we were going through rock side by side.

Edited by JohnJ
Removed price

Makes you just love the pricing at the Canadian eurypterid quarry. You find it its yours .......free (gratis as we say up here in the Great White North). Admission charge for the day, perhaps a coffee and donut for the lady on the gate and the doser driver.

Downside, your not likely to find a pterygid claw and the eurypterids are a little harder to find. And finally we can only collect on Fridays.....

As always the offer is out to meet up with any Fossil forum member that would like to go on a eurypterid hunt up here in no longer winter Canada.