Is There Any Pest Which May Has The Potential In Consuming Your Fossils And Damage It?

Melissawow

I have been wondering, since pests such as rats, cockroaches, silverfish, etc may potentially destroys collection of books, antiques, furniture.

So what is the main foe of fossils? Any pest which could have eat up your fossils?

Ha! Never heard of any fossil eating pests. But I have had labels eaten by Silverfish and I have had fossils destroyed by both humidity and drying out.

People are by far the biggest threat to fossils. Watch out for those pesky things and you should be fine. My friend had his little brother throw a 5" meg down the stairs a few years back, needless to say it didn't end well. Fossils are pretty though considering they're composed of rock, so nothing should really bother them.

Edited by Rec0128

Pyrite disease ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpreparation.paleo.amnh.org%2F56%2Fpyrite-disease&ei=SvyNU8LoD4vKsQS-4YBo&usg=AFQjCNGnXy0hyrY5DERdMq4aU8ZYKtcQww&sig2=zueVwzV0MuLag5hqX0IV2A ) which can be a pest for some folks that have fossils with pyrite. Fungi, Dermestid beetles, mice, cockroaches, Silverfish, etc are very destructive to subfossils.

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I would say humans and natural elements (sun for some, fire....obviously, freezing, rain, etc.) I've never heard of and rock eating pests.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Won't eat them, but at least spider droppings can be quite aggresive on carbonate and can cause color deteriorations.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I can attest to mice. They chew up labels and their urine will make difficult to impossible to remove rust brown staining on white fossil shell.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

rug rats

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Parents (long, long ago...) :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Clumsy people. :(

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I know of several collections destroyed by Mothers cleaning up. One person told me " I used to collect trilobites, but my Mom threw out my collection when I went to college!"

Kids.

Ha! Yup. Proven to be the biggest threat to my collection. Oh well. Hopefully teaches them to handle them with more care next time. It's pretty traumatic to see daddy wailing and sobbing on the floor. :P

-Clayton

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever"

- Carl Segan

Impatience, and carelessness - I have ruined more fossils than I care to admit due to field trimming or overeager prepping.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Impatience, and carelessness - I have ruined more fossils than I care to admit due to field trimming or overeager prepping.

Regards,

Im guilty of that one! :D

Plus most of the awesome pyritized wood I collected from a near by coal seam has turned into white powder, :(

I had a dog that would get into boxes of fossils I had stored in a building, I don't think he ever ate any but he would carry them off and lose them. He once carried off a brand new rock hammer and I never found it again.

+1 for kids - my own fault for encouraging them tho. I still have a gastropod swirl that the 3 year old found sitting on my bedside cabinet.. She was so stoked that she found it, the first thing she could think of was to give it to me.