Still Trying To Sort Out What Is And What Is Not Fossilized Bone.

claire01

Could someone help me determine which of the below is bone and which is not? They all seem bone like to me, but preserved differently. Or am I just seeing things? Cretaceous, Eagle Ford.

post-7100-0-51621600-1403012860_thumb.jpg

Bone often sticks to your tongue and rock won't. (Not 100% foolproof, though.) The capillary action of the pores in the bone pulls moisture from your tongue, causing it to stick a little.

I'd say both the pieces on the right are, but I'm not 100% sure. These are a bit different from the fossilized bone I usually find.

I think the 2 on the right are also. And maybe this one?:post-7100-0-60626300-1403016736_thumb.jpg

Here's the other side:

post-7100-0-65977300-1403017153_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-09011300-1403094478_thumb.jpg Side view.

Edited by claire01

What sound am I listening for, enoscrawler? I'm hearing a sort of dull clink, but honestly when trying several different ones they all sound pretty much the same to my untrained ear.

What sound am I listening for, enoscrawler? I'm hearing a sort of dull clink, but honestly when trying several different ones they all sound pretty much the same to my untrained ear.

Claire, in my experience, there are often too many variables to use sound as a definitive method to determine if something is a fossil, bone, or anything else. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ