Pencil Drawing: Fur. Looking For Input

32fordboy

I tried doing pencil art for the first time since high school. As the person who has spent hours looking at this darned thing, I'd like to get outside opinions on how the fur looks. Not sure I like it, but you guys may be able to sway me.

The goal is to learn to draw realistic fur. This method may or may not be on the right track to that.

The original drawing is 24" x 18", so I had to use a camera and edit the photo digitally, which caused some loss of shade and value info.

Thanks for any input!

post-741-0-27262000-1403477675_thumb.jpg

You want my honest opinion your drawing is good. I can see how you started to speed up on drawing and hair pattern started to get a little to spacey. From the nose to forehead and left ear is really good. The right side seems like you started to rush a little to much. My advice is use a stumpt and blend in a little more on the other areas.

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Excellent advice. I'll try that and see what it does. I definitely did this different than most people do, using a stylus to imprint the directional patterns before shading them, as opposed to building up layers of directional lines with various pencil hardnesses. That stylus patterning definitely could have lead to inconsistencies. Thanks for the input!

As to the fur, if your intent was to render it as stiff and coarse (like a boar), then that is what is suggested (at least to me).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Overall it looks very good.

What I don't like are that some lines are very straight and sharp and look somehow not matching the style in my opinion. What I mean:

The ridge and the transition from the ridge to the back is absolutely excellent: It looks as if everything was made out of single hairs.

But the teeth and especially the eye look too sharp and "defined" in my opinion.

And in the transition from head to body there's a straight and sharp single line marking the end of the head; I guess it would be better if this could be made out of single hair too.

Thanks, guys! I'll go back and mess with these things, too.

Now I just have to contemplate adding a background. As much as it would lend to some reality, it may just ruin the drawing.

I think the light and dark of the fur nicely contours the shape of the animal. However, right now, it looks like really short hair. Animals lead tough lives. While some animals have winter and summer coats. Even a summer coat should be a lot more scruffy. I think the manes on top could be longer and it could use a lot more rogue hairs (and longer ones too) everywhere. Especially the ears look way too tidy and trimmed.

Otherwise I think you're on the right track towards a really nice drawing.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite