Fossil Amber Site In Tasmania, Australia

NZ_Fossil_Collecta

I've managed to nail down where an amber locality is in Tasmania, and what the rules are etc. regarding what material can exit Australia, and I've even found an expert who is qualified to identify which material is permitted to exit. I'm going to Tasmania on the 10th of July to see my grandfather and he has agreed to take the 6-hour total drive to the site to look for amber at a location that has produced amber on a few occasions in the past. no guarantees i'll find any but wish me luck anyway! i'll post any finds in this same Topic if i find anything.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

i think it is eocene in age

Wow!

I was under the impression the only amber deposit in Australia was the Cape York amber so this is news to me. I'm glad, Tasmania is rather lacking in it's fossils compared to states like NSW, QLD and SA so this is cool.

Good luck on your hunt and I look forward to hearing how it went.

Any amber sites in NSW that I am not aware of?!? lol

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Wow!

I was under the impression the only amber deposit in Australia was the Cape York amber so this is news to me. I'm glad, Tasmania is rather lacking in it's fossils compared to states like NSW, QLD and SA so this is cool.

Good luck on your hunt and I look forward to hearing how it went.

Any amber sites in NSW that I am not aware of?!? lol

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/47437-tasmania-pliocene-amber/?hl=tasmania

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Good luck!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

... Darwin glass.

I had to look that up: possible impact glass!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 4 weeks later...

aaargh.... 6 hour drive and i didn't find anything but shell fossils (didn't take any)

oh well

Unlucky. Any pics of the location/ shell fossils? :)

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

no... too focused on trying to find amber. there was a REALLY nice cone shell fossil that i should have taken but in the mindset i was in, all i wanted was to find amber.