Anybody Know Where I Can Get A Vibro-Graver?

stubee5

• 5 weeks later...

Look in ebay.com for a "electric engraver" and you will find plenty.

Is it that you had been looking for?

Best regards

Michael

Some engravers are rotary as opposed to vibro. Make sure you know what it is.

Edited by tmaier

Avoid using electric engravers for fossil prep at all costs. The devices can cause a variety of injuries from the vibration transmitted through your hand. They are NOT worth it. Better to spend a little more on an airscribe setup. They transmit less vibration, are easier to manipulate and have much more control. I know the electric devices are cheap, but how much is your deductible for your medical insurance? Every time you feel that strange tingling in your hand you are one step closer to permanent nerve damage. Seriously.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

Unfortunately, the difference in cost between a $25 vibro tool and a $1000 airscribe makes the vibro more ideal for us occasional users.

I've had very good results using a vibrating engraver for doing prep work on Eocene/Oligocene fossils from the badlands of Nebraska, Wyoming and the Dakotas as well as on some mammalian fossils from the Miocene/Pliocene of the Texas Panhandle. It simply takes a steady hand and a LOT of patience to avoid engraving your intitials into the fossil itself! I've heard of people suffering nerve damage from extended use but I don't seem to be having any problems and I've been using the darned things pretty regularly for the last two decades or so.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

hi,stubee5:

i suggest u may search "Vibro-Graver" or "Electric Engraver" or"dremel engraver" on ebay,too many of them !

but i have to remind u that nomally factory stylus fitting to the above engravers are all too dull plus too weak power of Electric Engraver,it can not clean fossil,so u need to buy a special shape stylus to fit the above engravers to clean fossil, this special shape stylus still can be available on ebay,u can search "a super carbide point"......

Edited by wei123