Back To Big Brook And Onto Ramamessin, Monmouth County, Nj

anthracite31

We got back to Big Brook a few weeks ago. We didn't hang out long before we decided to go and check out Ramanessin Brook in Holmdel, NJ. Couldn't ask for better weather. Found some nice micro clams that were whole at Big Brook. Love finding them! Most of the teeth we pulled were from Ramanessin. Another good day with my hunting partner.

post-15997-0-85376700-1406503957_thumb.jpg

A nice haul you two! Glad the weather held :)

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

Thanks Ancient Bones. Are you anywhere near Stokes or High Point? I try to go camping up there a couple times a year. Beautiful area!

Local collectors tell me Ramanessin is one of the best locations for sharks teeth.

About an hour's drive away. You're right it is beautiful .

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

Local collectors tell me Ramanessin is one of the best locations for sharks teeth.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Keep it on the down low :D

Were you picking or sifting?

We brought our sifters and used them at BB. Didn't even need them at Ramanessin. Stuck to surface hunting there. It was a good day :-)

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Keep it on the down low :D

Were you picking or sifting?

I've stuck to surface collecting and haven't used a sifter in a long time. My interest is as much the geology as the fossils at these sites.

Very nice haul! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice finds. I most scan the surface but have found some nice teeth through lifting tires, logs, and other trash, then sifting.

: )

I always found the gravel at the Ram had so many larger stones that it was back-breaking to use a sifter there. But in the 10 years I lived back that way, and collected both, I would say the quality and quantity were dead even. BB did have a better variety of Navesink Formation invertebrate fossils due to the closer proximity of the shell beds to the stream. And every time someone would say one was played out, or over collected it would reveal something new and awesome. Those jaded old-timers who complain are just tired and lazy IMHO.

Looks like you got some really nice teeth in there!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

well right now at big brook, theres just a tiny amount of gravel bars exposed anywhere downstream from boundary road and just about the same for upstream. just a few areas of persistent gravel, but most of the good collecting area is all silted over. ramanessin is so much rockier much of the silt washes out during floods. too many trees falling along the stream during the recent harsh winters. the treejams pile up organic matter and then back up areas of the stream with silt. theres always something to be found at the nj creeks, but its definitely not getting easier. there is great stuff out there, but it takes some work.

I always found the gravel at the Ram had so many larger stones that it was back-breaking to use a sifter there. But in the 10 years I lived back that way, and collected both, I would say the quality and quantity were dead even. BB did have a better variety of Navesink Formation invertebrate fossils due to the closer proximity of the shell beds to the stream. And every time someone would say one was played out, or over collected it would reveal something new and awesome. Those jaded old-timers who complain are just tired and lazy IMHO.

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---