Large Fossil Near Lake Erie

Spilly

Found this at our Landscape yard where we are located on bedrock . There are many fossils to be found here but this one stood out from all I have seen here with it's size . Thanks for any help. Spilly

post-16020-0-13332000-1406597561_thumb.jpg

post-16020-0-43254100-1406597570_thumb.jpg

Looks like a honkin big horn coral, or Rugose coral.

Nice find.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! Nice Rugose.

With a bit of prep and patience that could be a nice wall-hanger.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That is nice. And rising out of a neat sea of crinoid segments.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

That is large. Where exactly did you find it? I might want to look around there when I'm near Erie. (Providing its open to the public)

Wow! That is really awesome. I would be happy just finding the matrix much less that huge even by Texas standards coral.

Wow , thanks for all the great comments !!! Oh no ! Now I have another Hobby ? This area is near Buffalo but on the Canadian side of the border in Fort Erie. This Coral will be on display in my garden . Will it decompose if displayed out in the open? May be a dumb question if it has survived ? million years. This area is private property but let me know and we can work something out. Tons of examples of this type of fossil (matrix) Thanks again for this forum for us newbies. Bill

Wow! That's a beauty, Bill. And welcome to the fossil forum. I wouldn't worry about your fossil decomposing before you do. It's been bound in that matrix for millions of years, and will most likely remain there for millions of more years. In your garden. :D

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

So Cool !!! Millions of years .... Thanks for the response to my post . Moe pics of the matrix to follow . Thanks !! Bill

If you're worried about degradation, you could try impregnating it with plastic. Might work nicely given the seemingly porous nature I see in that cross-section. There are topics on the forum on how to do it and what to use (e.g. Butvar-76). Museums generally do this for archival purposes and it's fully reversible if you ever want to remove it.

Edited by Mattalic

I wouldn't put any sealant on it.

It crys out for a wash. Get a bucket of detergent and water and give him a bath. For the orifice of the coral, put some of the detergent water in and allow to soak for a half hour, then use a paint brush to gently dab into the septa of the coral. Then gently hose or spray out the dirt.

That is such a sweet heart of a fossil I would keep it indoors to protect it from physical damage and more dirt. The rain wouldn't hurt that for a century or two, but what if something falls on it and breaks a chunk off?

It's a "doozy" all right.

Edited by tmaier

nice coral! my guess would be Siphonophrentis from the Devonian period.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks