What Adhesive To Use For Amber?

occasional_handyman

• New Members

My wife has an old amber bracelet. ONe piece cracked and broke in half where a hole had been drilled for a thread.

I have a sealed but perhaps old/very old tube of Liquid Nails and a tube of Zap A-dap_a Goo II, perhaps a 1-2 year old which was used once.

Can these adhesive be used to bond amber? The whole are ias about 8x16mm.

THank you!

Occasional handyman.

A transparent adhesive would achieve better looking results, I think. I'd use a cyanoacrylate gel (Krazy Glue gel).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Thank you, Auspex. If I ahd nothing at home, I'd definitely buy cyanoacrylate. But if one of the two glues I have will work here, I'd start with them. What do you think (see the attached photo)?

post-16127-0-06619600-1407437808_thumb.jpg

I second the use of Krazy Glue or Superglue.

Liquid Nails is a wood glue, right? I wouldn't expect it to work on a non-porous substance like amber, plastic or polished stone.

Good luck!

I'm in the UK so don't necessarily know what those glue brands contain, but cyanoacrylates (generally sold here as "Superglue") should be fine unless the broken surfaces are very smooth. If they are smooth, I would buy a small tube of jeweller's expoxy cement which you should be able to find in a hobbyist "bead shop".

Often, tubes of glue which have been opened and then kept for a long time may have thickened up and become difficult to apply as a thin, even coat.

Whatever you use, I would wipe both surfaces first with a clean cotton handkerchief dampened with a little alcohol (you could use vodka if you don't have any neat alcohol) and then allow to dry thoroughly before applying the glue. The broken bead already looks semi-opaque so (although application of any chemical to amber is not recommended) the appearance shouldn't suffer too much.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

The butterscotch color of the broken stone is much lighter than that of Liquid Nails, and I think such a repair would be pretty obvious and unattractive. I do not know anything about Zap A-dap_a Goo II.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!