More Stuff From Tucson

RJB

While going from place to place and generally saying WOW!!! everytime we walked into another room, we walked into some folks from china. I noticed a box of keichy's on the floor and wondered how much I could get them for? Several years ago, it was tuff to get them for less than 150 bucks for these unprepped ones. Well, I walked out of there with 4 of them, and I got first pic cause I was at the show several days early, for 400 bucks! Wow! I was quite excited! One of the main reasons I went to Tucson was to find some unprepped material. One of the things in life that i LOVE to do. I cant wait to prep these babys out!!!

RB

I was under the impression that they're almost all fakes. Could you fill me in on them?

...kid in a candy store...

Congrats!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The chineese are known to make many fake fossils of all kinds, but most of them are quite easy to dicern from real ones. ive heard that most of these are faked too, but the only ones ive seen faked were so easy to tell apart from the real ones. But these are still under the rock.

Anybody else have any info on fake keichy's?

RB

Thanks. With all the forgeries floating around, I'm always suspicious of these things.

Guest Nicholas

You're very lucky to get to go to these shows, I cannot wait to travel to tucson.. I'm saving for one or 2 years spare change anything I can get a nickle off of I will and then I'm going there to spend spend spend! :D

You're very lucky to get to go to these shows, I cannot wait to travel to tucson.. I'm saving for one or 2 years spare change anything I can get a nickle off of I will and then I'm going there to spend spend spend! :D

Hey Nicholas. Is it luck that you are saving your change? Is it luck that you are planning and preparing for a trip to Tucson? No. Luck has nothing to do with it. Its called doing what you want in this free country and living life to its fullest. It would be luck if you won a trip, but when you scrimp, save and plan and then actually do it, there is no luck involved. Dont let anyone tell you that you are lucky when you do go on your trip to Tucson. You tell them it took you hard work and lots of savings to get there and you earned it. Sorry, but I hear that all the time and get tired of people telling me that I am 'lucky'! No luck involved fella. Other than all that, I really do hope you go through with your plans. You will fall in love with that place and have some memories that will last you a lifetime!

RB

I shouldnt have purchased this rock, it was very exspensive, but it was soooooooo damed purty that I broke down and bought it. The guy had 4 of them, and the next day they were all gone so I am glad that I did. This rock is going on display in our house. Waaaaay to nice to sell, and very hard to come by. Enjoy.

Oh, these come from the UK and the concretions have a very hard outer skin of pyrite on them. Just freakin gorgeous!!!

RB

The chineese are known to make many fake fossils of all kinds, but most of them are quite easy to dicern from real ones. ive heard that most of these are faked too, but the only ones ive seen faked were so easy to tell apart from the real ones. But these are still under the rock.

Anybody else have any info on fake keichy's?

RB

I have two hyphalosaurs/sinohydrosaurs and a juvie keich which is a little smaller than the one you have there. Most of the time the fakes are generally easy to spot. The bone, to me anyway, doesnt really look much like the matrix especially on the hyphalosaurs. The first thing I usually do is put them under a microscope and look at them closely. Many times you will see a lot of fine detail that will help you determine whether it is real. Most of the fakes I have seen focus on obvious details that everyone looks for and ignores finer details. For example, my little keich has its dorsal side up. The skull has some fantastic characteristics that only really show up under magnification like the effects of compression etc. I also havent come across many fakes that are unprepped. You can expect to find some of the very small caudals and tarsals missing. My little keich has some poor restoration done to these areas. The paint is horribly obvious. I wish they wouldnt do that. Anyway, once you begin your prep I expect you will find out very quickly whether they are genuine or not.

It is risky to buy chinese fossils if your source is questionable. However, there are genuine specimens to be had if you are careful.

Hi everybody,

RJB thanks for sharing you pictures.

As you know i am a big fan of Green river fishes. I would really appreciate if you could share pictures of stingrays or rare green river fishes.

Fish fossils ther seem to be quite expensive though.

Enjoy the fossil show,

Dapalis1

Dapalis1

I have two hyphalosaurs/sinohydrosaurs and a juvie keich which is a little smaller than the one you have there. Most of the time the fakes are generally easy to spot. The bone, to me anyway, doesnt really look much like the matrix especially on the hyphalosaurs. The first thing I usually do is put them under a microscope and look at them closely. Many times you will see a lot of fine detail that will help you determine whether it is real. Most of the fakes I have seen focus on obvious details that everyone looks for and ignores finer details. For example, my little keich has its dorsal side up. The skull has some fantastic characteristics that only really show up under magnification like the effects of compression etc. I also havent come across many fakes that are unprepped. You can expect to find some of the very small caudals and tarsals missing. My little keich has some poor restoration done to these areas. The paint is horribly obvious. I wish they wouldnt do that. Anyway, once you begin your prep I expect you will find out very quickly whether they are genuine or not.

It is risky to buy chinese fossils if your source is questionable. However, there are genuine specimens to be had if you are careful.

Hey thanks for all this info Paleoputz. The vey first hypha/sino's I ever bought was a real butcher job. Their prep technique was to sand down to the bone making them flat and whatever was missing, usualy head bone and little tarsals and carpals, was painted in. It was only 80 bucks so i wanst out too much, but from then on I took my jewelers loup where ever I went. Then I happend to be at the Denver show when 911 happend. Not many poeple doing much buying and met a chineese fellow who lived in california, but had family in china and they sent him all kinds of fossil that he himself prepped. I got a very nice sino for 100 bucks, so I was very happy. I wish i stayed in contact with him. He was one of the honest dealers.

RB

Hi everybody,

RJB thanks for sharing you pictures.

As you know i am a big fan of Green river fishes. I would really appreciate if you could share pictures of stingrays or rare green river fishes.

Fish fossils ther seem to be quite expensive though.

Enjoy the fossil show,

Dapalis1

Hey Dapalis1. The rarest fishes I have are the Noto's, one being quite large but none of them are done yet. They are in that real nasty bottom layer of the 18 inch layer. Very very hard bone though. Someday I will get them done?

RB

Hey Dapalis1. The rarest fishes I have are the Noto's, one being quite large but none of them are done yet. They are in that real nasty bottom layer of the 18 inch layer. Very very hard bone though. Someday I will get them done?

RB

Hi RJB

Do you have Noto's? I might be interested ... not right now but within the next 6 months.

What do you mean by large?

Dapalis1

Dapalis1

Hi RJB

Do you have Noto's? I might be interested ... not right now but within the next 6 months.

What do you mean by large?

Dapalis1

Hey Dapalis1. The one I started quite awhile ago measures 18 inches, has I think two verts slightly out of place, but it looks to be a very nice quality fish, and the big on I have I think is about 22 to 24 inches in length, but has a broken back, so the fish has an unnatural bend to it.

RB

Man, I really miss the Quartzsite and Tucson rock runs. I'd load my truck full of knappable stuff in Jan. at Q, then head to Tuscon for the show.. occasionaly even go down to Tombstone for a weekend too. AZ has a lot to offer. :-)

Mike

All your fossils are belong to us