Calvert Cliffs Help Needed

Wolffish

I'm usually pretty good with most of the Calvert Cliff finds we make, but these 2 have me stumped. So - I KNOW the hardcore Cliff searchers will be able to help me out.

My wife found the piece on the right on Sunday evening on the busiest beach on the cliffs. Miocene era. I wetted it down for the last 2 shots to better show the angles.

The tooth is a simple tooth, but it perplexes me. It is a small tooth, but has a very thick root. The tooth is a little beat up, but has a shape that reminds me of a bull shark tooth. But the root is so thick I figured I'd those who know way more than I do weigh in.

Thanks in advance

Joe

post-9227-0-37499200-1408500499_thumb.jpg

post-9227-0-88779800-1408500509_thumb.jpg

post-9227-0-45182100-1408500521_thumb.jpg

post-9227-0-65118900-1408500567_thumb.jpg

post-9227-0-51695900-1408500586_thumb.jpg

post-9227-0-17630400-1408500601_thumb.jpg

post-9227-0-38039800-1408500614_thumb.jpg

Can you take a picture of the other side of the tooth. Looks like your tooth has the tip of the crown broken off why its giving you an impression its has a large root vs crown. No idea on your other item is it a fossil?

The bone is the distal epiphysis of a metapodial, it's from a juvenile artiodactyl. Either deer or peccary.

Wow - thanks so much for the ID help, Calhounensis! That would make the our first mammal find ever from the cliffs. (Only been doing this for 3 years, but we've found thousands of sharks teeth)

Thanks again!

You're welcome, Joe. Congrats on the first mammal find and good luck on your shark tooth ID.

Daniel

Thanks Rich!

And, when I mentioned this was the first mammal find for us, I should have said IDENTIFIABLE mammal find. We find a lot of small bone fragments, just nothing whole.

Thanks again

The tooth is a little too beat up to for a good ID but I think Physogaleus contortus is a possibility.

The bone is the distal epiphysis of a metapodial, it's from a juvenile artiodactyl. Either deer or peccary.

Peccary teeth are routinely found in the cliffs.

The tooth is a little too beat up to for a good ID but I think Physogaleus contortus is a possibility.

I agree with Eric. Physogaleus contortus was my first impression.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I agree with Eric. Physogaleus contortus was my first impression.

Marco Sr.

That's what I'm seeing as well.