Pennsylvainian Nodule Mystery

Rockaholic

I would consider Jack's advice to be of the highest level of experience. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gorgeous specimens! Yeah being inquisitive about what would happen I sacrificed one of mine in the collection to vinegar testing some time ago. I think it did expose a bit more detail but overall it seemed to remove quite of the highliting and enhancements.

attachicon.gifMacroneuropteris Mazon creek before vinegar closeup.jpgattachicon.gifMacroneuropteris Mazon creek after vinegar closeup.jpg

I think I'm leaning towards shrimp vs a plant ID on your specimen but am not sure vinegar testing will clearly answer it. It might, but I defer to the other folks maybe Rob or Jack or one of the others who have piles of great specimens and have probably experimented or know of others wins/losses.

Regards, Chris

Good hearing from you again.It’s interesting seeing the effect that acid has on the calcite deposits common to nodules.Thanks for sharing.

As the person how wrote the quoted Smithsonian piece on cleaning fossils, my advice is simply do not do it. It is not reversible and the results often turn a easily recognizable specimen into one with arguably better detail, but you may hate it. Koalinite is very hard and can only be chipped or blasted off. The specimens shown here are beautiful in my opinion as is, highlighted with calcite. If you wish to highlight a flora specimen, mix a deluded mix (exact ratio does not matter, you can experiment off the fossil itself) of white glue and water and paint the leaves. It is completely reversible (rinse with water) and adds a small amount of protection to the fossil. Though you did not ask you may wish to know the fern is a very nice example of Pecopteris subcrenulata as is.

Hope this helps,

Jack

Thanks for the advice. As always, your post contains a wealth of knowledge. In the brief time I’ve been collecting fossil concretions it’s become apparent to me that I’m a long way from acquiring the expertise that is required to identify fossil flora. You have carte blanche anytime you would like to identify any specimen that I present on the forum, even if the identification is unsolicited.

It's an Acanthotelson Stimpsoni - I have one just like it from Mazon Creek.

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

• 2 weeks later...

It's an Acanthotelson Stimpsoni - I have one just like it from Mazon Creek.

I've found both Palaeocaris sp. and Acanthotelson Stimpsoni in this area.I'm thinking this is some sort of syncarida but I'm not sure if it's well enough preserved to ID it any further.