Morocco Trilobite In The Raw

Shamalama

I recently purchased this Trilobite from Morocco not because it was rare or unusual, I bought it because, to me, it's perfect the way it is. It's a specimen of Gerastos tuberculatus marcoensis that is naturally exposed from the limestone rock. It came from Mt.Mrakib which is near Alnif in Morocco and likely came from the Taboumakhlouf Formation which is dated to the Devonian (Emsian stage). I narrowed down the name based on info I got from the dealer and by reading through Paleontographica Canadiana No. 30, "Gerastos from the Lower to Middle Devonian of the Southern Moraccan Anti-Atlas Region" by Gibb and Chatterton, 2010 (Thanks Scott for the paper!). I could get him prepped and restored but I much prefer the natural patina and shape of the wind sculpted rock plus the trilobite seems to be resting or looking for prey.

post-1408-0-84171100-1410224571_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-06067000-1410224573_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-41973700-1410224572_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-68829500-1410224573_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Excellent acquisition, Dave!

I'm with you - looks great the way it is - you never really see them this way.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If it were mine, I could not resist picking away at the matrix. However, I can see the beauty of it, remaining just as pictured. It is dramatic in presentation.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

to me, it's perfect the way it is.

Agreed. The desert-wind etching adds so much to it.

Context is critical.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was looking at it this morning and loving that it reminds me of an bas relief sculpture from some ancient, long forgotten temple.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

"It just looks like a fossil" :wub:

Those who collect for display know what this means. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good decision to leave this one like it is, sandblasted by the arid desert winds. Awesome bug! I just recently prepped a very similar specimen (in fact, the starting position for the prep was near identical to your trilobite, but in a fresh break), and without that awesome desert patina: http://english.fossiel.net/id_system/fossil_id_search.php?zoek=61-0122.jpg

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Fred, You did a great job with the prep on yours. Thanks for your comments and for sharing your cool bug. :)

-Dave

Mike and Arion, I'm glad that I share the same thoughts with you guys. :) :) :)

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Nice trilo. Are there two in that rock??

No, just the one but that would be very cool if it did have a mate!

-Dave

Actually, there is a cross section of a second trilobite just above your Gerastos. But since you can see the cross section it is, by definition, incomplete.

Attached the 'as found' pic of my specimen. Similar, but unweathered. A lucky split!

post-643-0-27332300-1413234997_thumb.jpg

LogoS.png

Actually, there is a cross section of a second trilobite just above your Gerastos. But since you can see the cross section it is, by definition, incomplete.

Attached the 'as found' pic of my specimen. Similar, but unweathered. A lucky split!

attachicon.giffresh.jpg

Well I'll be. You are correct! I didn't notice that because of the weathering and cool looking bug below it.

-Dave

I noticed that cross section too!

Nice piece, where did you get an unprepped one like this? If I had the option, I too would choose a natural, partly-exposed unprepped specimen like this over those poorly prepped examples (being unable to prep anything myself or afford to have one of the good preppers do it for me)...

I got lucky and the dealer was offering it as is. I'll have to check with him to see if he has others. :)

-Dave

Yes, The other thing from Morocco that I wish I could see more natural examples of is those 'Orthoceras' nautiloids, I have only ever seen one weathered plate of them which was a little out of my price range, from a local dealer.

I have an average prepped Gerastos specimen too, and I wonder if all of the Gerastos specimens you see on the market would come from the same formation - Maybe not as I have seen references to the Hamar Lagdad Fm as well, though given the source I am not certain.

Gerastos is found in many different localities and formations in Morocco. There are many different species, too! Well, different... it's all in the details with Gerastos :D

On a side note, the so-called "Hamar Lagdad formation" does not exist. It's maybe a fancy term invented by traders in order to make it seem as though they provide your with the precise origin of the trilobite. Hamar Lagdad is a valid locality east of Erfoud, with a carbonate mud mound facies. But no formation. ^_^

• I found this Informative 1

LogoS.png

I just love that weathered bug! Knowing it had its eye out of the rock for propabely thousands or even millions of years! Awesome! Like it just kept looking to the changing world around it.