Unknown From Indiana?

Herb

I found this laying on a Mississippian outcrop. I think it was dumped by someone. My guess is it is Cretaceous, It is about 1/2" wide by 21/2" long. Any ideas with this paltry info? The matrix appears to be a dense chalk, ie...Austin Chalk. Thanks.

post-2520-0-46049200-1410389589_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The color certainly suggests something younger and from farther west. Looks like Oligocene White River stuff to me.

Edited by Carl

:blush:

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

If a 10 year old boy can find a paleo point on a public beach along the South Jersey shore then someone could find a White River Formation mammal bone laying on a Mississippian formation.

Edited by jpevahouse

I wonder if somebody thought they were setting it free? Back to roam the formations...

BORN FREE! WHERE EVER THE WIND BLOWS.... WHERE EVER THE GRASS GROWS... CAUSE THEIR BORN FREE!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If you quote Forever Free I quit

If you quote Forever Free I quit

Hey Herb, dont quit. I'm not sure whether your post or Tmaier's was funnier. Thanks!

I dont have a clue about what you got! Maybe there are some micros within. Good luck. Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

After I posted that I realized only people 50+ would probably understand the humor. There was a story about a lion being set free and a song that went with it.

When I release a fish I sometimes burst out in that song, with my own mangled lyrics. My son thought it was funny the first 30 times, but I guess it has lost it's edge. :D

same stuff Howard.