Aptychus Or Inarticulate Brachiopod Or Matched Pelecypods?

Shamalama

I'm curious to see what others think of this fossil shell that I found. It comes from the Centerfield mbr. of the Ludlowville Formation in Fayette, NY (Devonian, Givetian stage). At first glance it looks like paired bivalve halves. Another look makes me think it's an inarticulate Brachiopod or possibly an Aptychus from a cephalopod. What do you guys think?

post-1408-0-27309900-1411944780_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-46894700-1411944788_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-76031200-1411944795_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Looks like Lidstromella aspidum, an Acrotretida inarticulate brachiopod. Really nice find! I don't have too many inarticulate brachiopods and would love to find more. Congratulations!

• I found this Informative 2

Bob - Not raised much at all.

Jeff - that seems most likely or possibly Orbiculoidea like what Jim B suggested.

Middledevonian - Doesn't have enough relief to be a rostroconch IMHO but I appreciate the suggestion!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That's why I was asking if it was raised. All of my inarticulate Brachiiopods are raised in the center but I understand they can be preserved flattened.

I vote for Lidstromella. The distinctive ring pattern on the shell (well preserved in this case) isn't present on Orbiculoidea. Again, nice specimen.

Inarticulate brachiopod, my vote is Lidstromella as well. These things don't turn up all that often, the first one I found I spent months trying to identify the "bivalve" until I started looking in the right books

I just wish I could have found it whole instead of missing 1/4 of the shell. Would make for a better specimen and possibly easier ID. Consensus seems to be Lindstroemella aspidum both here and on Facebook.

Here is a pic from the KYANA fossil club page of a Lindstroemella from the Jeffersonville Ls.: http://www.kyanageo.org/fossils/devonian/brachiopod/Lindstroemella_on_Fenestrate.jpg

I'm going to have to go back through my Mahantango Fm. fossil flats as I found a couple of similar looking brachs a while back that I thought were Orbiculoidea but might be Lindstroemella instead. Thought I had posted them to my blog but don't see them on there.

-Dave

Cool find, Dave.

Thanks for posting - it was a learning experience for me.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking fish scale but I could be way off, I would defer to someone who knows that area better, like you guys... Not sure if you have fish that could produce such a scale in that Fm/stage, I am used to the Cretaceous.