Oklahoma Fossils Sites? Will Send Fossils For Info!

silverphoenix

So I've been traveling A LOT lately for training for my new job--it's been SUPER CRAZY HECTIC, but I've at least been able to collect vigorously along the way to and back from OK for training! I will have LOTS of stuff to post soon--saving up for one big post. I've been asking for a lot of info lately and everyone has been Great helping me out!

Someone on here helped me to find one site in Waurika---Does anyone know of any more sites up here? I'll be here until next Wednesday, so I have time after training each day to fossil collect. I'll send a medium flat rate box of matrix or half the big fossils I find to anyone that provides info that leads me to a site. You can know it or research it--if I find fossils, I'll send some your way! Staying in Oklahoma City at the moment.

Thanks!!!!

How far are you willing to travel? I know a several places over by Tulsa and a couple more south of OKC in the Arbuckle mountains. Also what kinds of fossils are you looking for? If you get the chance you should go visit the Sam Noble Museum in Norman (just south of OKC) to see what all Oklahoma has to offer fossil wise. Several members, including myself, have donated fossils there.

He's not kiddin' folks! I got a big happy package in the mail today with lots of great material to sift through. I've already found shark teeth and lots of bone from fish or maybe even reptiles. I'll do some more screening and cleaning before I ask for some IDs but this could take awhile to go through. Thanks silver p!

There's a pay site called White Mound in Sulphur Ok.

My wife found her first trilobite there.

Route 1 box 323

Sulphur OK 73086

580 622-5366

hope this helps!

I sniffed around a bit and found these 2 sites. I've never been to them and know nothing really about them.

The Ada Brick Pit and Rose Creek sites are from Oklahoma Fossil Localities by Mark McKinzie P. 77-79. And the Richards Spur site may not be accessible at all but here's some possibly out-of-date info I found:

Dolese Brothers Quarry/Richards Spur Quarry

General Office 20 N.W. 13th

Oklahoma City, Ok 73103

Rick Delk and Mike Fesse

375 Dolese Road

RR1 Box 3800

Elgin, Oklahoma 73538-9744

Phone: (580) 492-4771; (405) 235-2311

Fax: (580) 492-5670

Lower Permian reptile bones are found in soft clay fissure fillings in hard Ordovician limestone at the Dolese Quarry 7 miles north of Lawton, Ok. The quarry allows non-commercial collection by amateur and professional groups and specifically excludes individual collectors. For individuals, I suggest you contact the company and join someone else’s visit.

"Cranial anatomy of primitive captorhinid reptiles from the Late Pennsylvanian and Early Permian, Oklahoma and Texas," Malcolm J. Heaton

Heaton, Malcolm J. Oklahoma Geological Survey.

Bulletin no. 127

post-186-0-48440000-1412255347_thumb.png

post-186-0-95356000-1412255358_thumb.png

Edited by Carl

Unfortunately the Richard's Spur quarry is off limits, in full or in part due to private collectors selling material from there, after signing an agreement not to. But man, was it good 10 years ago!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the info!!! Is the Dolse quarry still shut down? I'd like to visit if not

Richard's Spur IS the quarry in Dolse. The other site Carl mentioned is in Ada and the development that exposed it has been completed now so it's private lots. I don't know how fast they're selling and getting built on but Mark mentions them because adjacent fields will be cleared for development in the future. It's the Rose Creek subdivision on S. Kerr Lab Road in Ada Ok.

Richard's Spur IS the quarry in Dolse. The other site Carl mentioned is in Ada and the development that exposed it has been completed now so it's private lots. I don't know how fast they're selling and getting built on but Mark mentions them because adjacent fields will be cleared for development in the future. It's the Rose Creek subdivision on S. Kerr Lab Road in Ada Ok.

So at least at this very moment there's no reason to visit Ada for collecting?

Correct according to Mark. If Ada posts building permits online it might be wise to check periodically for activity on the adjacent field.