Organizing Collections

gatorguy

I would like to know how you guys organize your collections.

Does anybody use those little fold up specimen boxes? I like how they look, but I would much rather fold my own. Except I cant figure out how yet. Anybody do that?

Regards,

Zac

Gatorguy,

I use foldup boxes in a variety of sizes for my collection. I buy them in bunches of 100. They don't come folded, you must do it yourself. Do you want to make the boxes from scratch or just fold the ones you purchase. If you want a pattern then go to Google Images and google "foldup boxes". Ther are several images from which you can extrapolate a pattern. For me, I'd rather just purchase the flat unfolded boxes. For the best price on foldup boxex look at www.tucsonstorefixtures.com or www.rockboxes.com.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

Hi,

A long time ago, I had made a file with models of boxes cut with many different sizes. So, I printed the pages which interested me. Obviously, the sizes are in cm. To you to print on the visiting card (carton) and to cut the sizes which you need !

Boites.pdf

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I also order the folding boxes. You have a good selection of sizes, they fit well into drawers, they protect the fossils from rubbing up against each other and they are not at all expensive.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Alright, thanks guys! Now that I went and looked some more, those boxes arent expensive at all, so I guess Ill buy some. Its still more than I want to pay for cardboard though. =)

Regards,

Zac

You might find the below thread informative as it shows how some collectors both organize and display their collections.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/40733-show-us-your-display-cases/

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I use the fold-up boxes also, inside shallow-drawer cabinets/chests.. it's those chests have trouble finding! (have had to build my own) I can't think of a better compromise between storage and display (ie. best use of space vs. ease of access).

I usually buy the fold-ups in bulk as has been mentioned but have made my own just by unfolding a store-bought one and tracing around it onto another piece of cardstock and cutting it out. Once you get the hang of the concept you can adjust the meaurements for different fossils. The difference in cost vs the difference in effort usually means I only make my own if I need an odd size.. it's easier to buy otherwise.

Here are some pix of my fossil room storage.

post-2520-0-26057100-1412307633_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-67724600-1412307654_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-57370700-1412307668_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-87504100-1412307682_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I use a variety of containers including those fold-up boxes which I see for sale at shows. I also use those polypropylene containers - good for keeping small specimens from the same site together. I get them at Tap Plastics.

I've switched to polypropylene knick-knack boxes. You can find some that have movable dividers to fit the different size fossils.

attachicon.gifvenice_plio_pleis.jpg

What is this organize thing you are talking about

I think i tried it years ago and it never worked out :P

I use my polypropylene boxes for my fossils, but that doesn't explain all the other fossils I find stuffed in drawers and on shelves around the house. :D

Well, you try your best to be organized.