Micro Fossil Display&

grampa dino

For those out there who collect Micro fossils

How do you store them :D

How do you display your fav's B)

I have some idea's that I have being working on <_<

grampa dino,

I have collected and displayed microfossils for a while, let me explain what I do.

After collection I screen or sieve the material to concentrate the micro material. This concentrated material I store in glass jars until it is picked through under the microscope.

Next I generally pick through the concentrated material and put the picked fossils in a glass vial, 3/4 inch plastic cube, or an old 35mm film can. (See photo below). At this point the fossils are not separated by specie but all stored together.

post-8-1234715456_thumb.jpgpost-8-1234715510_thumb.jpg

Next I pick through the fossils and separate them by specie placing each specie in a separate glass vial, plastic cube, or sometimes I use large gelatin capsules. (Size 000, you can get them at a pharmacy or health food store. People use them to load herbal remedies in.)

Then I place the fossils in the vials/cubes/capsules in a 2 inch paper (fold up) box and place in one of my storage cabinets. See photo below.

post-8-1234715690_thumb.jpg

For display I mount the fossils in single cavity 1 X 3 inch slides with a glass cover. Labels are glued to the front of the slides. Sometimes I use a slide with a multiple square ruled cavity. See photos below. Fossils are glued to the slides using a very small drop of clear model airplain dope. I handle and pick up individual micro fossils using the frayed end of a toothpick that I dampen with water. I made a special case to store and transport my slides. In March of 2008 I posted on this site a procedure for making slides. Also, if you are interested you can PM me and I'll send you info on where to purchase vials, plastic cubes and slides.

post-8-1234716206_thumb.jpgpost-8-1234716260_thumb.jpg

post-8-1234716358_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Hi Grampa Dino,

I use gem jars for the very tiny teeth that I collect. I don't know if these would work for the smallest fossils, but work great for many other smaller items. Below is a website that has the gem jars, displays for the jars and possibly some other items that might be useful for the micro fossils. JK's suggestions were great and I will have try those in the future.

Jack

http://www.fdjtool.com/category.aspx?categ...amp;startpage=0

While this isn't the greatest photo, it gives the general idea. 1 1/4" diameter jewellers cases from Lee Valley Tools (you have them in Calgary & Edmonton) mounted in a peice of exotic wood, in this case purple-heart, also from Lee Valley. Some upholstery filler in each case, a few labels and voila. I don't have any teeth smaller than 3mm (1/8") as they wouldn't show up too well. I like JK's slide set-up for really small stuff. What do you have for micros Grampa?

post-77-1234792017_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

While this isn't the greatest photo, it gives the general idea. 1 1/4" diameter jewellers cases from Lee Valley Tools (you have them in Calgary & Edmonton) mounted in a peice of exotic wood, in this case purple-heart, also from Lee Valley. Some upholstery filler in each case, a few labels and voila. I don't have any teeth smaller than 3mm (1/8") as they wouldn't show up too well. I like JK's slide set-up for really small stuff. What do you have for micros Grampa?

I know a guy that uses a similar type of display. He uses those little containers and puts them in a frame, sort of like a Riker mount. Don't know where he gets them.

While reading the thread, I thought of one of jkfoam's old threads entitled "Make Your Own Paleontology Slides For Microfossils".

Thanks for posting, I knew it was here some place but couldn't find it.

One more question = what is the max size a fossil

has to be, before it's not considered Micro? :P

Some very good ideas for storage and displaying.

The photo's show some of the ways I have played

around with displays. I still like the glassless side mounts

and plastic rap idea

post-310-1234990517_thumb.jpgpost-310-1234990481_thumb.jpg

post-310-1234990544_thumb.jpgpost-310-1234990566_thumb.jpg

post-310-1234990595_thumb.jpg

post-310-1234991068_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy I have some small Dino stuff, teeth,unguls from the late cretaceous,and some fish ,shark bites and reptile.

Shark teeth from the top of Nihahi Ridge Trail.

One more question = what is the max size a fossil

has to be, before it's not considered Micro?

grampa dino,

A paleontologist friend once explained it to me saying, "Size isn't that relevant, if you need a microscope to identify the fossil then its a microfossil. Bryozoa are a good example, some bryozoa colonies can be quite large but you need a microscope (10X) to examine the zooecium to identify the specie of the critter.

I also use as a rule of thumb, anything less that 3/8 of an inch is a micro. I love this hobby, there ain't no real rules, LOL.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

...what is the max size a fossil

has to be, before it's not considered Micro?

If I can't feel it in my pocket for the lint, it's a micro. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!