North Sulphur River

wfrr

I figure to head to the NORTH SULPHUR RIVER in the North Texas cretaceous Taylor Group this Sunday. Its been a while since Ive been out there and its rained pretty good esp out east. Anyone else planning on being out there this Sunday?

WFRR

Edited by wfrr

I heard they got a big rain there a few days ago so be careful. I've been told stories about people barely getting out in time and losing all their gear. Saturday is their big National Fossil Day celebration and I'll be there in the AM but have to go to the STEM Fair at Brookhaven after noon. If there's too much water the hunt may be called off. Some folks will probably collect anyway. Here's a link to the activities.

http://ladoniachamber.com/events/ladonia-fossil-park/

Well we made it out there. There was a lot of water flowing and it hindered us finding very much. At Paris there was too much water to pass for the time we had to spend. Near Hazel Dell the road had a tree across it and we could not get by and we missed getting in. They must have had one heck of wind storm there because there were a lot of trees down. The low water crossing had water flowing across it and people had pretty much torn the area up with 4 wheelers it was a mess.

Having said that I picked up several magnificent specimens of the big exogyra ponderosa oysters. I like to give those away to kids and other interested folks. I picked up a few shark and fish toothies and a fish vert, a broken arrowhead and a baggie of bone and enamel frags and worm tubes. My buddy trentonmon found about the same kind of stuff plus a lower jaw hinge from a mosasaur. Nothing spectacular found but it was beautiful outdoors and simply a great day to be alive.