Silurian Shell ?

Rockwood

This is from a Silurian aged near shore formation. I would call it a piece of brachiopod shell, but the flat round surface doesn't seem to fit. I considered that it may represent a brief nonconformity, but an intact bryozoan crosses the plane. Any ideas ?

post-7417-0-18733800-1414338568_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-94757600-1414338580_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-28114900-1414338593_thumb.jpg

There are lots of smaller ossicles in the area, but they all are well preserved and white in color. Can you think of a reason why a larger stem would not preserve at least as well. Notice on the rounded edge where the ridges are missing it almost looks as if matrix is exposed. As for exposing more ; I'll try, but it's from Maine. That means it's metamorphosed and I've never had much luck at it, the rock is just so hard.

my best guess is crinoid segment also, without seeing more . Size?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Sorry to be difficult with folks who are trying to help, but I just can't see crinoid here. If you zoom in on the right hand pic and notice a trace of liter colored material on the lower ridge, I think that is all there is there for actual body fossil. I'm thinking the rest is internal mould (steinkern). If you keep looking diagonally up and to the left in the same photo notice the slight lip. The texture,especially there, looks more like a mould to me. Can anyone go with partial whorl of a gastropod ?

Herb: scale is at the top of the right hand pic..

I agree with Rockwood that this is not a crinoid piece. As Rockwood pointed out, you can see where the shell is broken and internal mold is exposed. I've outlined the broken edge of shell in red.

post-2301-0-06532900-1414407303_thumb.jpg

This presents an opportunity to bring up something I don't see mentioned often. I'm prepared to be corrected on this but my take is slightly different. I think what you've outlined is actually the halo of concretion that surrounded the shell. I believe the red dash furthest to the right points up toward what little is left of the actual shell.

I guess it could be section of the brachiopod Kirkidium knighti, split along the plications. :blink:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Section of Orthocone cephalopod?

Interesting mystery.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me