Can Anyone Tell Me About Branchiosaur

Guest bmorefossil

Hello

Do you mean this one

A rare Permian Amphibian, Branchiosaurus sp. from the Lower Permian of Germany. Approximately 260,000,000 years old.

They are worth what a enthusiast gives for such a fossil

I have this twoo, see pictures.

post-150-1235086822_thumb.jpg

post-150-1235086888_thumb.jpg

Here's an Ebay store with a bunch of them; $50-70 buy-it-now.

http://stores.ebay.com/Ancient-Life-Fossil...4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I have also seen specimens offered in the hundreds of dollars; like shark's teeth, species, quality, and origin play a big roll in the price.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

yea i bought one for $42 from this guy, he had so many and didnt know how they could be rare but it will be a cool find to my collection

yea i bought one for $42 from this guy, he had so many and didnt know how they could be rare but it will be a cool find to my collection

Any Permian vert fossil is cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

cool store. love the pocket change fossil idea!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

• 1 month later...
I would like to know a little more about them, how rare they are and what they are worth

I saw those for sale at Tucson in February. Two dealers each had a big box full of them with prices ranging around $30. Over the past several years, I had seen only a few of these at prices more like $75 or more. Either someone has recently discovered a highly productive site or some old collection has been liquidated. A friend told me he was offered a box of them at $8 each if he bought the whole box. I looked through one box. The condition ranged from individuals with just a more or less distinct skull and vertebral column to specimens with near-complete/complete legs.

It does not appear that they are rare but hang on to a good one. Who knows if these will be hard to get later.

Probably the most available amphib out there.

post-1313-1238964043_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

• 8 years later...

Since 1986 the Fossil digging in Germany especially in Rhineland- Palatinate is forbidden. Today only a small account of private diggers are looking for good fossils - the best Branchios are from the location Odernheimer Kalkbank and there are very good one´s from the location " Middle Horizon" - mittlerer Horizont - Klauswald- Schiefer. Sometimes the small ones are coloured - look at the tail of the fossil.....very good fossills are not coloured and you can get them more expensive than 30$....

To be a little bit more precise: fossil hunting is not forbidden in whole germany, but in some countys and countrys (Rheinland-Pfalz) and at some special areas (Holzmaden with some exceptions, Messel,..).

And there are some legal restrictions as well in some of the areas additional to the newly raised "fossil-law" (see Thread here in Forum or google it..).

Concerning Branchiosaurus: it is not rare in meaning of the pure count (maybe one of the more common finds in the permian sediments), but since hauyn said, no or very less new material is available on the market (no new material) which makes it a little bit more difficult to get some...

Best regards,

Pemphix