Fossil Or Petrified Wood, Tooth,arrowhead?

TennisTort

Hi I have had this.....something since I was 7 when I found it in a peice of rotten wood. To me it looks like some sort of Tooth or possibly a Arrowhead, it is All wood but I really don't think it is just Nothing it is very interesting

please let me know your thoughts (sorry pics are to big to upload so I have yo post the links here)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2aig176&s=8#.VHQn98so7qA

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2iav30p&s=8#.VHQojcso7qA

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=280mxki&s=8#.VHQpD8so7qA

Welcome to the forum!

Im not sure… Unlike anything I have ever seen before. Can you upload some top view images of the specimen if possible?

Sorry for not being much help, but is it definitely wood?

In my understanding you found it in wood...

Thanks

I am posting the pictures here for ease of viewing.

post-2806-0-06650300-1416916154_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-24840800-1416916172_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-87447200-1416916194_thumb.jp

In my opinion, it is just an interestingly shaped piece of wood.

It looks like part of a branch where it went into the trunk. I have found similar pieces.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I am posting the pictures here for ease of viewing.

attachicon.gif2aig176.jpg

attachicon.gif2iav30p.jpg

attachicon.gif280mxki.jpg

In my opinion, it is just an interestingly shaped piece of wood.

It looks like part of a branch where it went into the trunk. I have found similar pieces.

Regards,

Yep, I've found this too. A knot in wood that has been eroded by decay and shaped by water action.

I completely agree with Fossildude 19 and tmaier (except for the weathering since this was extracted from rotting wood). I have seen these many times. The axis is the knot (really a branch base embedded in the tree's trunk) and the regularly spaced ridges are what is left of the annual rings of the tree. That's why the branch and the ridges are basically perpendicular. I would even go so far as to say this is very likely to be a conifer of some kind based on this specific relationship.

• I found this Informative 3

That was my impression to, but if it's stone, or if something about it leads her to believe the center is stone, we're all back to square one.

It is almost certainly a pine knot (from within the trunk, where a branch grew out).

Does it float or sink in water?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In Florida, knots like this one would be called 'lighter pine.' It was/is dense and resinous so it burned brightly.

And when lighter pine ages, the resin becomes rock hard and you can't drive a nail or screw into it. Somebody used that stuff in some of the studs in my house.