Tips For Removing Excess Resin/glue

Sh0n

So, I purchased a very nice upper P2 woolly mammoth tooth, but it appears that whoever prepped it got a little overzealous with the glue/resin. There are some globs on the side and top that are actually white from how much they used. Not sure what type of glue they used. Any ideas on how I can safely remove the excess without damaging the fossil?

Depending on what they used you can try acetone to see if it will soften the glue. You cold also try cutting it away. Maybe post a pic of the tooth.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

rejd wisely suggested two methods that may prove effective. I am guessing that the "glue" was applied for a reason, so if it were mine I would lean toward a mechanical remedy as opposed to chemical. That is, the acetone may also have an effect on a portion you want to "stay glued." I would try an Xacto blade. The globs of excess may just pop off. Good luck and have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It looks like it was given a "top coat" to just protect it in general, as it doesn't appear to be holding anything together. I'll get some pictures late so I can show exactly what I mean. Some pieces definitely look like I could remove with a hobby knife, but on the flat, grinding surface of the tooth, it's more of a thick wow film that makes it difficult to see the tooth ridges.

I would guess that it’s PVA adhesive. If so, there are various solvents which will initially soften and ultimately remove it with varying degrees of effectiveness, including white spirit (mineral spirits in the US) and nail polish remover (especially those which are non-acetone based).

Probably most effective of all would be commercial cellulose thinners of the kind used for brush cleaning and removing surplus paint… especially those which have a toluene or xylene base component.

Initial rubbing with a cotton rag moistened with the solvent will soften the surplus adhesive and continued rubbing should progressively remove it. As Snolly says, it’s there for a reason, but I would suspect it's had a soak or a very liberal brushing with diluted adhesive to encourage seepage into cracks and crevices to make sure the plates don't split apart. Even so, it may not be in your interests to be over-enthusiastic about removal. Selectively and carefully thinning out the excessively coated areas is probably your best bet.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I was envisioning the issue as a glob or two of excess on a joined area. It now sounds like it has been "dipped," perhaps in an overly thick preparation for consolidation. I'm afraid the mechanical approach I suggested will not be the answer. Photos will give folks with some experience with a similar problem fuel to suggest a course of action.

Edit:

Ha! I could double my two-finger typing speed and still not be ahead of painshill in timeliness of post or good advice. Sound direction, Roger.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Here's one of mine that has been consolidated with a soak in diluted PVA. Even with diluted adhesive, it's difficult to get it to drain away evenly. This is taken in daylight with a small UV torch on it. The areas where the PVA has preferentially accumulated in the grooves between the plates and on the damaged areas of the plates during drying fluoresce a moderate bluish-white.

post-6208-0-65987200-1418557466_thumb.jpg

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]