A Little Help Here Please #3---The Big One

Foshunter

This has sparked my interest as much as the other un-knowns, I posted this yearrrrrrrs ago without a confirmed ID. One member leaned toward Croc. which seemed maybe correct. My meager search still leaves me trying to establish if croc. where was it located, head, snout or none of the above. We have so many new members a new look at it was in order. Guess where it came from---- yep N. Sulphur. I started hunting the channel in the late 70's and still do when home for a visit, hopefully soon will be moving back to my old stomping grounds. Over the years have brought home a lot of fossils and points from there. 99% of them I have ID'D but some still elude me as this one does. Any help or direction would be great. Thanks----Tom

post-3940-0-35864400-1418762222_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-77101800-1418762224_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-94622900-1418762226_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-57401700-1418762228_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-08335300-1418762230_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-56338600-1418762231_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-85063600-1418762232_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Pachycephalosaur dome?

[edited] I originally wrote "ankylosaur" but meant pachycephalosaur. Hey, dino's ain't my thing, man!]

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Looks like the end of a croc snout to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm inclined not to think its a Pachy dome. I looked at the ones in my collection and attached a picture of one. The surface texture is not the same and none of them have the amount of ligament holes that are all over the specimen in question. It looks more typical of a jaw, possibly croc.

post-10935-0-07335800-1418813783_thumb.jpg

I agree that it looks like the end of a snout, especially in the last two pictures. Snout of what though? Crocodile is certainly a good choice. In the second picture there are some pits that look infilled with matrix. Are those tooth sockets or just shallow depressions?

Did I try to argue this was a pachy dome several years ago? Or was that a similar bone from the n sulfur?

Outstanding memory----Yes, I did submit this years ago and the ID was kinda all over the place from croc to dino. I wanted to re-submit it as we have new eyes that might know what it was. Thanks----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

I agree that it looks like the end of a snout, especially in the last two pictures. Snout of what though? Crocodile is certainly a good choice. In the second picture there are some pits that look infilled with matrix. Are those tooth sockets or just shallow depressions?

Tooth sockets would for sure would be a help but there are none. Thanks----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

This, as well as certain other difficult to identify specimens, always puts me in mind of Edgar Allen Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue. If you will remember, a series of horrific murders took place, and in each case the murderer was not seen by a witness, but was overheard arguing with the victim. In each case a different language was identified - but never by someone who spoke the language. In other words, the Englishman thought it was Italian, the Frenchman thought it was German, the Englishman thought it was Portuguese, etc. So the mammal guy (me) thinks it is a dino, the bird guy (Auspex) thinks it is a croc, the dino guy thinks it might be...... and so forth.

By the way, the murderer in Poe's story turned out to be an escaped orangutan. I can assure our members that this bone is not from an orangutan.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

This, as well as certain other difficult to identify specimens, always puts me in mind of Edgar Allen Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue. If you will remember, a series of horrific murders took place, and in each case the murderer was not seen by a witness, but was overheard arguing with the victim. In each case a different language was identified - but never by someone who spoke the language. In other words, the Englishman thought it was Italian, the Frenchman thought it was German, the Englishman thought it was Portuguese, etc. So the mammal guy (me) thinks it is a dino, the bird guy (Auspex) thinks it is a croc, the dino guy thinks it might be...... and so forth.

By the way, the murderer in Poe's story turned out to be an escaped orangutan. I can assure our members that this bone is not from an orangutan.

Needed a laugh, painting the living room, not fun-----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Sent pictures of all 3 bone pieces to Ron at the Perot museun, hopeful for a positive ID. Will post results when they are arrive----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"