Calymene Vs Flexicalymene.

Triceratops

Often you see those 'mud trilobites' from Morocco for sale, sometimes they are called Calymene and sometimes they are called Flexicalymene. What's the difference? Are these two related but distinct trilobites or are they one trilo' with two names? This has been bugging me for a while.

-Lyall

Calymene is a Silurian genus and Flexicalymene is Ordovician. In spite of many dealers calling them Calymene and Diacalymene, all the examples from Morocco are Flexicalymene.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

All the 'Flexicalymene' I have seen are merely composite pieces made of a head attached to an abdomen. Usually the boundary between the head and thorax is rather unclear and undetailed compared to the rest of the trilobite.

All the 'Flexicalymene' I have seen are merely composite pieces made of a head attached to an abdomen. Usually the boundary between the head and thorax is rather unclear and undetailed compared to the rest of the trilobite.

There are a lot of these that have been cobbled together, but there are also many unaltered complete ones for sale.

Check ebay for Calymene, Diacalymene and Flexicalymene and you will find plenty of good examples to choose from.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Flexicalymene are one of the more common trilobites that we find in South Western Ontario. They are generally well preserved and are often very inflated (3 Dimensional)with amazing detail

Here is partially enrolled an Ontario Flexicalymene Senaria that I found and prepped a while ago.....

post-4886-0-65381600-1419449826_thumb.jpg

post-4886-0-36597100-1419449835_thumb.jpg