Still Looking For A Saw

TheFossilHunter

Hi All,

I am continuing my seemingly everlasting quest for a big masonry saw. Someone was going to design it for me but it didn't work out.

I am looking for a 20-30 inch blade circular masonry (rock, cut-off, block) saw, probably a used one, since new ones are so expensive. maybe someone is selling one, or knows someone who is selling one, or has advice on where to look, or has experience building or designing them. Any info would be appreciated. I am located in NY, and will travel reasonable distance to pick one up.

Thanks

Mike :)

Hi All,

I am continuing my seemingly everlasting quest for a big masonry saw. Someone was going to design it for me but it didn't work out.

I am looking for a 20-30 inch blade circular masonry (rock, cut-off, block) saw, probably a used one, since new ones are so expensive. maybe someone is selling one, or knows someone who is selling one, or has advice on where to look, or has experience building or designing them. Any info would be appreciated. I am located in NY, and will travel reasonable distance to pick one up.

Thanks

Mike :)

I will ask my dad being that he is in the construction biusnss, maybe he knows someone who would have one, or he can make one(hes good with things like that) lol I will find out for you

Jake.

Guest solius symbiosus

A saw that will take a 30" blade is a monster... a large industrial machine. That size would cut 12, or more, inches deep of stone. Too, the thing would take up an incredible amount of space. Why would you need to go that deep??? And if you do, why not just drill it, and then use wedges(I forget what they are called). However, if you have the money, and some place to put it, some place like LabX would be the place to look.

EDIT: that should read 12" or more x2

I will ask my dad being that he is in the construction biusnss, maybe he knows someone who would have one, or he can make one(hes good with things like that) lol I will find out for you

Thanks a lot, Fossilkid. Thatld be great

A saw that will take a 30" blade is a monster... a large industrial machine. That size would cut 12, or more, inches deep of stone. Too, the thing would take up an incredible amount of space. Why would you need to go that deep??? And if you do, why not just drill it, and then use wedges(I forget what they are called). However, if you have the money, and some place to put it, some place like LabX would be the place to look.

Yes Solius I know. My ideal saw space wise would be 24 inch. I do need to cut huge rocks as I collect huge rocks and drilling won't work as I need even surfaces. I don't have much money thogu, that's why I am looking for a used one. Thanks for the link, ill look there

Guest solius symbiosus

How big are the slabs that you need to cut? And what do you use to lift them? Would you be cutting something that size often? If not, a stone supply wholesaler would probably cut the stuff for you relatively cheap... at least compared to buying saw big enough to cut something like that.

I haven't priced saws that big, but I would think that even used your talking $10k-15k... maybe a lot more???

How big are the slabs that you need to cut? And what do you use to lift them? Would you be cutting something that size often? If not, a stone supply wholesaler would probably cut the stuff for you relatively cheap... at least compared to buying saw big enough to cut something like that.

I haven't priced saws that big, but I would think that even used your talking $10k-15k... maybe a lot more???

Some of my rocks are 2 ft. Tall and a few. Inches thick, I just lift them. I need to make them thinner. No a 24 inch new masonry saw would cost 4k. Shipping included. A slab saw is about 2 times more expensive. It is theoretically possible to find a used one for 1500. In fact to make a 24 inch saw would only cost about 800-1000 in material.

Some of my rocks are 2 ft. Tall and a few. Inches thick, I just lift them. I need to make them thinner. No a 24 inch new masonry saw would cost 4k. Shipping included. A slab saw is about 2 times more expensive. It is theoretically possible to find a used one for 1500. In fact to make a 24 inch saw would only cost about 800-1000 in material.

I guess a wire saw wouldn't give you a true enough surface?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

you can use a demo-saw for the littler things, but the biggest demo-saw they make has a 14 inch blade then you would have to go to a totaly different kind of saw.good luck

Jake.

I was talking to the guy who cuts the petrified wood and meteorites for the Smithsonian. He uses a cable saw and polishes the ends by hand after cutting.

I guess a wire saw wouldn't give you a true enough surface?

Wire saw I've seen either don't have capacity to accommodate big rocks or are toooo expensive. Cost of Some of them approaches a 100,000. I am not sure how smooth the surface would be, getting rid of saw marks is not much fun

you can use a demo-saw for the littler things, but the biggest demo-saw they make has a 14 inch blade then you would have to go to a totaly different kind of saw.good luck

I have a saw you are talking about with a 14 inch blade. It'd. A portable one. I need stationary and bigger than that. I also have a stationary with 10 inch blade, and one with. Inch blade, plus a hand held one with a 4 inch blade