Alabama Fossils

Rockin' Ric

Hello ya'll! I'm amazed at the variety of fossils that can be found in my state. For a long period of time, I was locked into finding mostly flora specimens from the Carboniferous period and didn't realized there were more than just plants waiting to be found. Of course I've recently been adding resting traces to my collection. Last week I joined several of my friends for a fossil hunt in the northern part of our state. The goal was to find Crinoids in Bangor Limestone from the Carboniferous, Lower Mississippian. I have one Crinoid in my collection that I happen to stumble upon it while looking for Carboniferous flora fossils. Being a noob for this kind of fossil hunt I couldn't believe all the marine fossil hash plates littering the ground, I wanted to pick up every single one and put in my bucket not realizing I had two buckets to fill and it was a long walk back to the truck! We didn't just find Crinoids, some of the other fossils were of Archimedes/Fenestella, Crinoid stem pieces, Horn Coral, Burrows/Conostichus, Blastoids, Brachiopods and others. The hunt was a blast, now I have new additions to my collection and some to give away.

post-5318-0-44537000-1420340546_thumb.jpg post-5318-0-57915200-1420340620_thumb.jpg

Crinoid and Brachiopod Crinoid with surrounding Fenestella

post-5318-0-05754200-1420340729_thumb.jpg post-5318-0-76251200-1420340788_thumb.jpg

Crinoid Stem with splayed flowerette Splayed Crinoid flowerette with stems

post-5318-0-07945600-1420340836_thumb.jpg post-5318-0-06843300-1420340813_thumb.jpg

Archimedes with attached Fenestella? Archimedes/Crinoid stem hash plate

post-5318-0-24968700-1420340884_thumb.jpg

Blastoid with surrounding Fenestella

• I found this Informative 1

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Nice finds Ric, start some plans now to add another room to your house for more display/storage!

Regards, Chris

Those are all very cool, especially the blastoid and the crinoid head. Big congrats. Looks like a spectacular place to collect.

Rick,

The Archimedes bryozoans are actually composed of those fenestrate type pieces, (the spiral shapes extending out with the lacey bits) so, they are one and the same.

Nice finds!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Have you hooked up with the Alabama Paleontological Society? I went down to Bama a few years ago and contacted their President at the time and his group took me out collecting with them. They do a number of trips throughout the State and they are a great group of people. I provided a link below.

http://www.alabamapaleo.org/Alabama_Paleontological_Society.html

I would suggest that you learn as much as you can about your State. I live in a State considered by many to be free of fossils but have a great time collecting here because I am constantly reading old State geology reports and GSA reports. I then go out and try to find the old locations and look for new ones by using bedrock maps. It's a lot of reading but I'm not a skier and I need something to fill those long, cold, winter nights.

I would suggest that you learn as much as you can about your State. I live in a State considered by many to be free of fossils but have a great time collecting here because I am constantly reading old State geology reports and GSA reports. I then go out and try to find the old locations and look for new ones by using bedrock maps. It's a lot of reading but I'm not a skier and I need something to fill those long, cold, winter nights.

Thanks Cluros, I am a member of APS. This fossil hunting trip was with several members of the group. Had a blast! Still learning and finding new fossils each time I venture out.

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

• 3 years later...
On 1/12/2015 at 11:32 AM, Rockin' Ric said:

I am a member of APS. This fossil hunting trip was with several members of the group. 

I would love to go fossil hunting at this site! :)